Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is that noise?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sams, May 30, 2001.

1. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    I was playing my Ibanez sr405 last night and I noticed that I was getting a slight buzz after each note whether it be on a fret or open string. It is like a resonate buzz. I never heard it until now. What could be the cause?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't have any experience with Ibanez's, but a loose bridge screw can certainly make a buzz. Also, you might want to check your battery. Actives can get a little fuzzy with a low battery. Tuning machines can rattle as well.

3. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    Where would I locate the loose bridge screw? I dont think it was the battery because I was not connected to an amp when I was playing. I was just playing and I could hear the buzz. How can a tuning machine do this? thanx

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Just check all your bridge screws, especially the saddle screws, to make sure they are not loose. Sometimes the "handle" of the tuning machine can rattle or buzz if it's loose.

5. Dude, I have the exact same problem.
    I have the same bass as you. It might not be the same cause though.
    A loud hum/buzz comes through my amp when I none of my hands are touching the strings or the knobs. I have been told to take my guitar in the shop to get the electrics looked at. My producer said that it has a bad earth.

Good luck sorting it out.

From Rhys.

6. I've got a 405 too, and the electronics are fine but the pu's suck. Never had earthing problems though, even with an unearthed wall outlet.

The buzzing sound could be fret buzz - 34" neck scale was a bad idea for this bass, floppy B-string and that crap.

I wish I bought a BTB instead.

7. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Play your bass so that you can recreate the buzzing sound. Whilst the bass is buzzing, press down on every part of the guitar -- one part at a time (you may need a friend to help with this). If the buzz is being caused by a loose EXTERNAL part, you should be able to locate it by this simple method. If you can't, then remove any cover plates on the back of your guitar and repeat the procedure above with the electronics (be gentle). BTW, don't forget to check your tone and volume knobs, and output jack too. They can all come loose. In all of this, I am assuming your problem is not fret buzz. But it could be. Depending upon where you live, this could be the time of the year to adjust your truss rod. High humidity causes my neck-thru to straighten out too much and become buzzy. A 1/8 turn is all I need to restore the proper relief in my neck. I have to do this again (reverse direction) in the late autumn when humidity drops. If you've never done this before, get some help from an experienced truss-rod-tuner. DO NOT adjust that rod more than 1/4 turn!!!! And take note, a small truss rod adjustment will show an immediate change in the neck, but it will keep changing for up to 24 hours. Be patient. Go slowly.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If im not mistaken a bad battery will have a distored sound to it, that to me sounds nothing like fret buzz.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    that sounds like a bad or loose ground wire, Ive had that problem on an old bass I used to have and it was a bad ground. As always I could be wrong.

10. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    This DOES sound like a bad earth (ground) connection. If the noise from your amp stops when you touch the strings I'd check out the ground connection under the tail-piece/bridge. It's easy to do on most axes. Remove the strings from the guitar and unscrew the tail/bridge from the guitar. Underneath it you should find a wire that is intended to make solid contact with the tail/bridge. Clean the underside of the tail/bridge (even LIGHTLY sand it with fine paper), scrape the wire end with a sharp blade to remove dirt/oxidation, wrap the wire around one of the screws you removed when you replace that screw and tighten everything down well, hiding the wire. Replace and tune the strings immediately (to restore tension on the neck). If this was the problem, it'll be fixed. This problem has happened to me on two different axes -- and this procedure fixed it. If this DOESN'T fix it, then remove the cover plate from your electronics and output jack, and closely examine every connection -- including the output jack. You may find a loose solder connection (this, too, has happened to me). If you find a loose wire (or a bad solder joint) re-solder it if you know how -- or find a friend who can handle the soldering. It's not difficult. If you have active electronics, don't mess with the circuitboard unless you know what you're doing. If I can be of any further help, email me at tdbear6149@aol.com.

11. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Another thing that can cause this problem is that the string is actually broken on the inside. I had that happen one time. It was strange, because I was unplugged so I knew it wasn't a normal electrical noise, also I knew that I didn't need a setup. I had just done it 2 days earlier. So I went through all of the parts that could come loose, the bridge, saddle screws, tuners. Took the string off, and put it back on to make sure that I had enough down pressure over the nut so that the string didn't rattle behind it, tightened the strap buttons, everything you could think of, and the noise kept coming, undetered. I took it to my tech, and he told me the string was bad, to change it. Once I had a new string on there I had no problem.

12. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    This ringing happens on all the strings and it is not an electrical problem because I noticed it when I was playing not connected to my amp.

13. that's nothing to worry about. usually when playing unplugged, you tend to pluck a lot harder, and this will cause buzzing in most basses. unless you plan on playing your next show unplugged, don't worry about it.

14. TedP66

TedP66

Aug 25, 2000
    I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. I did everything. I even laid the bass on a table & put my eart to every F'n part. I came to find it was the little spring that is on the screw which connects the saddle to the bridge. It only rattled when the bass was in playing position. I had to remove the spring, stretch it out, and put it back on. This might not be your problem, but to get down to it you have to start from the top and try every possibility. Before you go through the trouble of dismantling your electronics, make sure it isnt something dumb like the spring.

TED