Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is that orange cake @ Chinese food places? I MUST KNOW!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by teej, Feb 1, 2006.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and if so, what it's called?

My friends and I call it "taste in the back of your head" cake because it's like our whole head is filled with flavor or whatever. The problem is that the only Chinese food place I've seen it at was run by this family, and for X reason, they closed down. But anyway, I MUST know the recipe! So I'm calling all people of Asian descent, people who cook(ed) at an oriental restaurant, and/or those who for one reason or another know what I'm talking about and how to make it.

I MUST KNOW!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't know, but could you also find out how they make those yummy clear noodles? :D

-Mike

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    You know...

I work with a girl from Singapore (a copy editor who speaks/writes better English than some of my non-journalist friends) and she swears she's never seen 80% of the food served at "asian" food establishments in the states.

"I don't know why every vegetable dish is served with some unidentifiable meat and then drowned in weird sauce."

Food for thought, eh?

(Sorry about the pun.)

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Acctually in most asian places you can ask for diffrent manu (if you speak their language). And food on manu that is writen in non-english is far diffrent...

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am soooo hungry right now!!!

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Carrots, that's what it is!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How's about some Jack In The Box tacos? :ninja:

-Mike

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Not a big fan but...
    As long as i dont get to see chunks of what happens to the nasty taco after its in me :D

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Well, Chop Suey is totally American, so it wouldn't surprise me.

10. Those are supposed to go in the urinals!
    eeeeeewwwwwoooo!

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, nobody's yet been able to tell me what the wide, salty, greenish noodle dish is called that I once had when I posted a thread about it either.

Bumps on my wide, salty, greenish noodle! Er, I mean "bump for"....

12. An Asian friend once told me that the best way to choose an Asian restaurant was by how many Asian people ate there.

13. It's made of tangerine and gelatin i think.

14. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

If it IS that tangerine gelatin thing, we eat it a lot. I have the recipe for that, but I don't know if that's what you're talking about. You have to describe it more.

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I dunno... it's a cake, kinda fluffy, orange in color, full of flavor, tastes like orange (or something similar), topped with powdered sugar, cut into squares.

16. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    That would fill your whole head with flavor.

Mmmmmm.....pi$$er mints.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    DANGIT! I was all over that. :D

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So your Vietnamese friend once told you that the best way to choose an Indian restaurant was by how many Russians were eating there?

;)

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Crazy Russians...

20. That is so true. "asian" food here is very Americanized. My Yia-Yia had the reverse experience when she went to China and she had never seen 80% of the food there.