1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is that thing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimbo, Dec 22, 2001.

  1. Jimbo


    Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA

    if you've ever seen a rickenbacker or a fender, you've probably seen that metal thing over one of the pickups. what is that? what is it for?

  2. It's called a "horseshoe" pickup and that thing over the strings is a magnet with a metal cover to act like the pup cover on a Precision. As I understand Ricky's (and I don't REALLY understand them;) ) that pup is the better of the two, the neck pup being the one that is usually the first to be replaced for one that has better output. The horseshoe's seem to be unconventional to look at but are prized by their owners for the tone.

Share This Page