1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the 3rd knob for on the Kala Sub U-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timothy DeHan, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Timothy DeHan

Timothy DeHan

Jan 26, 2015
    I purchased a new Kala Sub U-Bass about 3 months ago from Sam Ash. I noticed that the 3rd knob did absolutely nothing turned in either direction. I sent an email to Sam Ash asking what the knob was for and they replied it was the treble knob. Still not getting anything from the knob turned in either direction I posted on the U-Bass Freaks Facebook page asking the same question. I was also told there that the knob was the treble knob. I then sent an email to Kala asking them and the too stated it is the treble knob. I replied that something must be wrong as there is absolutely no difference when the knob is turned to the extreme in either direction. Kala sent me an RMA to return the unit for repair. That was at the beginning of December. They told me it should take about 3 weeks. That was just about 2 months ago.

I've been pinging Kala asking for status and finally yesterday I they replied that the knob is "subtle" and that some might not hear a difference. REALLY??? I explained again that there is virtually zero difference when the knob is turned either extreme left or right. Kale replied back and said that the knob doesn't have a purpose other than aesthetics. WHAT?? I replied back that now I am really confused as they originally had told me that it was to attenuate the high bass end. Then they told me it was subtle. Now they tell me it is only for aesthetics. They replied back again just now saying they are getting some conflicting information on their end. They now say they just looked at another unit and noticed that it slightly changes the treble and takes away some of the finger noise when turning the knob all the way down and that they are sorry for the confusion.... REALLY???

24862083_10155958535417140_4076134672498766451_n.

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Yes, really.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    open up the back and see if it's connected to anything.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

might be for 'detraction attenuation'. or, 'thread-posting gain'. :D

Trouztrouz likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Is this the same one?
    Maybe it's more noticeable with Pyramid Strings.

6. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Taking a look inside is a good idea unless Kala inspected it and gave it an A-OK. At best, you might hear a sharper attack with the treble boosted but there's not much available from those rubber strings. It is, after all, trying to sound like an upright.
    Adding an outboard pre-amp might help but these are really one trick ponies designed to go 'thump' and not much else.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's the treble EQ control. Boost only. Unless they've changed the design recently.
    It doesn't attenuate anything. Fully counter-clockwise is 0db of boost.
    If you can't tell a difference between fully counter-clockwise and fully clockwise either the electronics are defective and should be returned or you have hearing damage.