Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is the absolute best instrument cord to use......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by billybo, Aug 1, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    does the cord have anything to do with sound of the bass...and i just bought a regular cord less than a month ago and its bad already....what is the best cord to get...be specific as possible and please explain..ty

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I use a Planet waves 15 foot cable most of the time, I also have a Thatch cable that I can't remember the brand. As for affecting the sound, it is generally unaffected, however the signal is likely to be stronger and more reliable with a better cable, you stand less chance of having your signal crackle out or weaken, and a better cable will likely last longer.

As for the absolute best, that's subjective, some people swear by planet waves, some people stand by monster cable, other people make their own and are confidant they make the best ever, there are loads of different cables out there, and this isn't the forum to discuss that in, this would probably be better off in Misc.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a decent cable and Neutrik plugs. Solder them yourself. Everybody should be able to do that IMO, so you can make and repair your own cables. Cheap too.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Yeah, it is very easy to make cables, takes 10 minutes tops, even if you don't have any soldering experience.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    not really GI type stuff, let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

6. I use Monster's. They are decent, but have a life time warantee.:bassist:

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For me, Spectraflex. I've had the same cord for about 6 years.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that's the one! thanks...yeah..I have two specrtaflex cords, one is about 6 years old and still works great the other is like 4 months old.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Do like JMX said and make your own, or buy something with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

I buy Monster cables for the warranty. If they short out or stop working, take them back to the store and exchange them on the spot.

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well, now that I moved it, I probably should answer it. I have another vote for spectraflex. I've had 2 specraflex cables, my 10' is 13 years old, and my 18' is 10 years old. Never had a problem. The silver coating has actually worn off the tips of the plugs. It's kinda copperish colored now. The other thing is that no one coils up my cables but me. If you treat cables well they last much longer. I find that people that don't play that want to "help out" tend to not know how to coil up cables and sometimes to more harm than good.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, I like my,,,,,,

*Looks at Chris A's signature*

I REFUSE TO POST!!!!!!!!

;)

(Another vote for Spectraflex)

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

13. I currently use Planet Waves, but I must check out Spectraflex

14. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I like my monster cables because of the warranty. I had one that broke so I took it to Guitar Center. They exchanged it without any questions.

They are also very well built, the only reason that it broke was that it was run over by a truck.

15. ...:eek:

anyone that pays that much for a freakin cable needs to be shot dead on the spot. no questions asked :p