1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is the action on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitroxidus, Sep 16, 2008.

1. nitroxidus

nitroxidus

Sep 16, 2008
    sorry if its an irritating noobish question but i've just never had it explained to me. the reason i ask is that i'm buying a schecter c4 diamond series bass (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-4-4-String-Bass-Guitar-102451192-i1148005.gc?sort=2) and one of the lowest reviews for the guitar said that the action was too high. but then another guy said it was too low and had to raise it. so the second part of my question is how do you do that?

any enlightenment would be appreciated, i just found this place and from the looks of it i will be visiting often. peace~!:bassist:

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    "Action" refers to how high or low the strings lay across the fretboard or fingerboard. It is a combination of four factors: 1) truss rod position, 2) nut height, 3) bridge saddle height, and 4) string gauge.

On any functioning bass guitar, each of these factors should be completely and easily adjustable. So action is certainly no reason to either buy - or decline to buy - any particular instrument...because it can be readily adjusted to suit your particular comfort level and playing style at any time.

MM

3. ^^^^
    That pretty much covers it.;)

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    i own that bass' brother..the custom 4 diamond series stiletto

261bt5l.

the action is the distance between the strings and the frets/fretboard. i've had mine professionally set up, and it plays like butter, very little effort involved making string contact. i would reccomend after getting the bass, taking it to a place that specializes in basses and having it set up by a professional.

5. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    that is one sexy bass

6. nitroxidus

nitroxidus

Sep 16, 2008
    hell yea thanks guys~!!

this wasn't going to keep me from buying it really (already paid half on it) but i just wanted to research any problems that i might find when i get it. i tried playing about 20 different basses at guitar center, and this one was by far my fav (under the $1k mark). i frickin' can't wait to get it.