What is the actual year of this Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eggman, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    As I have listed in my profile - I have what I think is a 1962 Fender Jazz bass. I say "think" because right after I bought it in 1975, I removed the neck and it is stamped "7NOV62A". Whlie cleaning and re-stringing this bass today, I removed the neck again to verify this. I did a search on Google (not available to me in 1975 :p ) and found a list of serial numbers (mine is 95401) - which would place my bass as a 1963.

Anyone have any input as to whether this bass is a '62 or a '63?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would say that it is a 63 with a neck made in late 62.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Looks like it's actually 1963.
    The stamp date may be that when the neck was completed. Maybe it was assembled a bit later.
    Not sure, though.

4. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    who cares about 1 year !!

5. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
  6. what are some of the other indicators of year such as tuners, bridge, knobs, color and numbers on the pots?

also check out www.fenderforum.com those guys know the score.
  7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    where was the serial number...weren't they on the neck plate back then?
  8. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    yes - its on the neck plate
  9. It's most likely a neck stamped in November 62 (with "A" width, a Jazz width of 1.5" at the nut) assembled only in 1963. Even today, Fender makes necks or other parts that aren't used right away. I guess you could say it's a late 62-early 63 Jazz, although some other parts such as the pots and pickups should have dates on them that would better place the estimate. I'd bet they were made around the same time as the body anyways, and there's no doubt that the bass left Leo's shop no earlier than 1963. Congrats on the bass, by the way. It's my dream to own a good pre-CBS Fender in the future.

While we're at it... got any pics to share? :D