1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the advantages of Single Cut Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Sorry but I don't care for any of the designs that are out there. I personally think they look heavy and awkward!

The only advantage I can see is there might be more stability in the neck with all that extra wood going all the way up to the 12th fret!

You won't win me over with the looks of these things, but help me understand them better!!

thx

Nightman, Sartori, Tari and 5 others like this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Pretty sure it's really just about looks.

zontar, TolerancEJ, line6man and 2 others like this.
  3. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Uh-oh..."Help me understand" rears it's ugly head again...

popcorn_yes.

It's just all about preference. This topic has come up many times.

trickyric, zontar, d-dave and 12 others like this.
  4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The feeling or sentiment is itself an aesthetic or moral discrimination. It is prior to, and the basis of, any subsequent expression of praise or admiration. The sentiment is the beauty of the object and it is the virtue of desirable human action. Sentiment is the sole source of values governing human activity. Taste is a “productive faculty, and gilding or staining all natural objects with the colours, borrowed from internal sentiment, raises, in a manner, a new creation.”

~ Stanford synopsis of David Hume's essay on aesthetics (abridged)

5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't know, but someone was asking if they looked pretentious a while back. So, if you're trying to win points there...

Sartori and gebass6 like this.
  6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Sometimes, basses aren't heavy enough. Singlecuts solve this problem by adding extra, unnecessary wood to the body of the bass.

Some people say that there is additional structural support for the neck, which makes it more rigid, since more of the neck is supported by the body.

I personally think it is just a double-breasted suit. It isn't common, but there was a point in time when it was somewhat fashionable.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    They're certainly interesting looking but like pointy toed boots they're not for everyone.

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    What's the advantage of having a cutout on the E or B string side of a bass?
    Show me how you use the E string cutout on a doublecut.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Here are a couple shots of my singlecut. You can see 1) the enhanced neck joint, and 2) how Brubaker further solved the lightweight problem not only with the singlecut design but also by adding about a half inch of thickness to the body of the bass. Because of the extra mass due to the design, this bass is properly weighted and balanced.

1F458661-AA12-4E3E-B7F5-7A25192CBFE7_zpsjyqt5cqw.

5C04BEBB-4FF9-474E-AAA6-8B2B02D2BC3C_zps1mtylyrf.

pudge, Fat Steve, PsyDocHill and 3 others like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When i first saw a pic of the Ibanez single cut BTB i knew i wanted one.
    When i walked into a music store a bit later to test two cabs, they had that bass hanging there.
    I tested the cabs a lot, but bought the bass instead.

I never even once asked myself what benefits i get from that lump of wood between the top horn and the neck.
    I guess you either fall for them or you don't.

PsyDocHill, BradH and allenhumble like this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    What's the advantage of making basses I don't like? If they are good enough for me they are good enough for everybody. I wish manufacturers and luthiers would stop. It annoys me and serves no purpose.

trickyric, St_G, lostreality and 32 others like this.
  12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    That uncutout section is about a quarter pound of wood.
    Big addition of weight.
    And since it's behind the basses center of gravity...........

Garret Graves likes this.
  13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I've seen this movie before.

If singlecut basses had been the NORM for fifty years, then someone came out with a DOUBLE cutaway bass, everybody would have gone crazy over the look and "improved" fretboard accessability.
    It's different, so it MUST be better.

aah_scary, TheBear, Sartori and 7 others like this.
  14. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I think it's a matter of balance and strength. In order to get the top strap button in the right place the top horn would have to be huge. I assume that the top bout also adds support for the neck. Form following function, I guess. I'm lost past the 9th fret anyway!

BurnOut likes this.
  15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    As an owner of a single-cut I'm pretty sure it has little or nothing to do with looks.

Fat Steve and DrayMiles like this.
  16. It's become the mark of a prestige product, a way for builders to signify that they're serious about their craft. In some cases it's just an elegant aesthetic choice, but sometimes it actually is functional. For example, I've heard that Thumb SC's don't have the notorious Thumb neckdive because the single cut extends the strap button out further than the upper horn would normally be.

PsyDocHill, Joebone and gebass6 like this.
  17. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    they all look like weird telecasters to me

which I sorta want

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Hmmm... they COULD have just extended the existing top horn a bit. Not buying this.

Sartori, DrayMiles and ctmullins like this.
  19. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks! Now I better understand why Brice made its single cut neck joint like this:

IMGP3385a.

interp likes this.
  20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    They are designed to be 50% less effective when used as a grappling hook.