1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the advantages of Single Cut Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jan 22, 2017.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I read it on the internet, it must be true!

2. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I didn't read it anywhere. I didn't make any claims. I was just wondering.
    I'm not sure what your point is.

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Yup the OP endorses this post lol

Herrick and davy4575 like this.
  4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I thought I wanted one and I borrowed an ACG single from a friend and I hated it. I do use my thumb and I guess my technique is what it is but I have my thumb over the neck past the 12th fret more than I thought and it just was plain in my fng way.... FWIW

davy4575 likes this.
  5. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you play in tough clubs, your body armor doesn't always cover everything you want to protect. A singlecut helps cover that area.

6. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    single cuts make balancing a heavy multi string neck easier and allows more frets with better assess to the upper register and minimize neck dive. In a neck through it also give the neck a lot more stability

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    In that case, I'll take my singlecut in reverse, please.

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Modern Peavey basses have pretty long upper horns like that.

9. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    All of which would explain why most of the singlecuts I've seen have been neck throughs with at least 6 strings and long or extra long scales. Now I understand the relationship. Thank you.

10. msgoodrich

msgoodrich

Jan 23, 2010
    Here's a link to a good interview w Anthony Jackson about the invention of the 6 string. He also talks about the single cut. Initially conceived for neck stability. I don't know anything about single cuts from personal experience. But I thought this was a really interesting interview for anyone interested in the history of electric bass:
    http://www.melvinleedavis.com/images/Contrabass Conception.pdf

11. Well I'm not sure fixing neck dive was the primary goal. A lot of these high level builders are having to add single cuts to their lineups in order to stay fashionable, and any functional benefits are sort of nice side effects.

12. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016

This is pretty much the documented genesis of the popular single cut design. I might be wrong, but I recall Ken Lawrence offering a type of single cut design called the Brace Bass prior to Fodera. However, the SC didn't get traction and gain acceptance until Fodera introduced the design with a highly respected and visible player praising it. Anthony Jackson asked Fodera if there was a way to increase rigidity and strength of the neck without resorting to use of a graphite neck or composite reinforcements. The result was the single cut design, which Vinny Fodera designed himself, and AJ didn't immediately accept it as a workable idea.

In this instance, weight, fret access, neck dive, or sustain weren't concerns at all. In AJ's case, he already was satisfied with the sustain he had from double cut designs, and the other things weren't important to him because he only plays seated.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    svlilioukalani and asands like this.
  13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    They look like open mouth whales. It's for the Moby Dick crowd.

Sartori and Thisguy like this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Humor. Look it up. ;)

Axstar, Shannon, MYLOWFREQ and 2 others like this.
  15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Sounds like you won't be buying one, then.

No thanks, I'll pass. Toodles!

16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    That made me just realize why I like my BTB so much in the lower notes. 35" 6 string neck through. And on that Ibanez, the rear has been designed with those sexy curves where the neck meets the body, it is a pure pleasure when your hand reaches down there and the thumb just sorta glides into that groove.

lz4005 likes this.
  17. Single-cut bolt-on? o_O

Good thing talkbass exists. Otherwise I might not see this stuff.

Obese Chess likes this.
  18. I don't have one but it sure looks like fret access is their strong suit. That's not due to the single-cut, but I suppose the single-cut makes the neck more stable when there's such a deep cut for the lower horn. Elricks look like the extreme case.

I'm not a big fan of Fender-ish lower horns that prevent me from easily getting to the top 2-3 frets. If my Fender bass had 27+ frets, I'm pretty sure I could get to at least 24 of them.

A BTB sperm whale model is on my bucket list if I ever get my finances sorted out. As a fan of Blood and Thunder, whales don't bother me one bit. David Bowie said Ziggy Stardust was "to be played at maximum volume", but times change. For me the go-to album for maximum volume is Leviathan.

jakey c likes this.
  19. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It's definitely greater neck stability due to the amount of contact with the body.

20. My single cut has better sustain and neck stability than my double cut basses. Its also free of dead spots on the G string.

Matthew Fisher likes this.