1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the attraction to getting a # in a specific manufacture owners club?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I've been seeing these threads where people list their gear that matches the club thread title and they ask for a member #. Why?

2. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Validation. Every one like a little confirmation that they made a good choice and can now show to others that they are proud of it. You probably won't find many club members by dis satisfied gear owners.

3. Just to be a part of a group of people that own the same gear?

I've posted in several club threads with pictures of my gear, but I don't care for a number. I just like being a part of the discussions and posting pictures of my gear.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Good question - I've always wondered too.

5. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Getting a club # isn't the big deal. For me, posting mfg or model specific questions in that club's thread will get some answers from owners, instead of everyone chiming in with their opinion and conjecture about how good the new CV's are...

There's way less bickering in the "owner's threads" than on general threads. Same dudes, but more focused on the topic.

Club # are mostly meaningless...I have a fake one in my sig.

6. rodcheapo

rodcheapo Guest

Jul 20, 2010
    Here's a thought - people like to gravitate to others who share the same interests and opinions....

Come on guys, we may be bassists but we aren't that socially awkward? Obviously the 'clubs' don't mean much but are a simple way to highlight our personal favorites. A lot of good information gets exchanged on some of the "Show Your ______ Bass" threads too.

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I think its more of a fun goof thing more then anything else and sharing a little comrodary with folks that have the same taste.

What gets me is the folks that request a number and don't get one right away and then start complaining on the thread "Where is my number???" like they are waiting for their gig money or something, that always confused me a little. Hey to each their own.

8. For me it's more of a low-key endorsement of the brands that I really like. Think of it as me saying "Hey, these guys make some cool stuff, you should give them a look." And of course, there's the whole pride bit :D.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's fun to talk to people who share your tastes. It is also nice to learn or share information with people who are interested in the same gear as yourself. Validation is part of it, but for bassists/TB'ers who have been around have enough confidence in their choices that we don't need a bunch of people agreeing with us for reinforcement.

10. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... clubs ??
    we don't need no clubs !!
    we don't need to show you no stinking clubs !!!

:mad:

:p
    :D

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

I'm a Carvin club member, and I think I may be an Aguilar club member. I don't know my numbers and I don't care. I like the threads because they're often filled with a lot of good information (and great gear pr0n. :D). Some people dig the numbers, and if that's their thing, more power to them.

12. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to buy a lotto ticket with all them club numbers in your sig. If I win, I'll split with you.

Don't you all wish you had club numbers now? :D

13. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

This pretty much says it for me too, I do the Thunderbird club numbers and also try encourage posts with technical questions for our dedicated group to chime in on - Photographs etc. are always welcome too, It's reason why TB is a good forum.

14. Interesting comments fellas. I too like to subscribe to specific threads but just didn't get the whole #'s thing. It seems it's all in good fun and really not about the club #'s at all. I thought I wasnt picking up on something....

15. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Dude....really????

Compare and contrast:

James Bond, 007

James Bond, some dude that works for the Queen.

Dig?? :D

16. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    combination of these two:cool:

17. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Sometimes when you post a picture of your bass or gear in one of the owners clubs they give you a number without you asking . I've changed basses so many times that anymore when I post I say not to give me a number because I don't know how long I"ll have that gear . I also like those threads though , they are usually good for getting info on brands . They can get kind of sappy too with members verbally high fiving each other and saying they are drooling over each others gear ,what's up with that ? But most of the time they are kind of fun .

18. If you post a picture in the Hartke club of your 115, 410 rig you won't get flamed by 50 guys telling you that mismatched cabs are a bad idea. You get guys telling you it's awesome.

:bag:

I know, I know, phase issues, power discprencies, engineering by looks, yadda yadda....

( not that they're wrong, I just find it funny)

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You make a compelling argument. I am interested in purchasing your product.

20. LOL! Ya know, I think I do "Dig" well put.