What is the average price of a setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've never paid for a setup before as I prefer doing them myself but I want to get my bass back into EADG from BEAD. I'm going to need a new nut and saddle so I decided what the hell, I'll get a professional setup as well.

Could you guys give me some ballpark figures as I don't want to get ripped off. I'm thinking $50ish for the above services. I'll call them when I get home.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Refitting a nut and replacing saddles goes a little beyond a routine setup. I'd guess doubling the $$$ you threw out.
  3. Definitely higher than that. If you take a $25/hr. shoprate $75 only buys you 3 hours and that's the minimum it could take to do this job. And a $25 shoprate is cheap!
  4. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    You can use superglue to fill in the nut slots and then recut the slots.

I guess you aren't playing a Fender, or you could just buy a new bridge for cheaper than a setup. If your bridge saddles are wood or plastic, the same technique for the nut would work for the bridge...
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

For a full set up (intonation, relief, action adjustment, electrics etc) it costs me about £10 (about $20?)... I'm not sure about the rest, never actually had any other work done on my basses!
  6. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

I'm doing exactly the same thing except I'm getting a brass nut. My bass went into the shop on Monday and it will run about $125. The guy doing it is REAL good though, not your part time guitar store kinda guy.

The bad thing is, I've got to wait a couple weeks to get it back because he's so swamped. :bawl:
  7. SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    I sell churros
    I'm paying about $110 for a full setup with nut work and fret dressing next week...the guy doing it has good references and guarantees his work. It seems like a really good price to me, but anybody with more experience want to offer their opinion?
  8. For basic set up: truss rod tweaks and action you shouldn't pay more than $35. For fret dress kind of stuff you'll start being charged by the hour and that can get pricy
  9. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Price is going to depend on location and reputation of the shop. Here in L.A. the guy who's been doing my work for years is getting expensive. A setup and nothing else is $75. I have talked to others who are highly recommended and they are $45. Others still building a reputation are around $35.
  10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Ron Pace.