What is the benefit of the unfinished Stingray neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 20, 2003.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Is it the lack of a "sticky" finish to make it faster feeling? Is there a trade off with the life of the neck? I am sure this has been hashed out, but I missed it.
  2. I am pretty sure the "unfinished" finish is a satin finish. Not sticky but still kinda smooth. Unless they make a completly untreated necks....
  3. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    Ernie Ball necks are slightly waxed and oiled. By unfinished they mean that there is no clear coat like a Fender. To me anyway, the neck DOES feel faster. The only disadvantage is that unfinished necks are a beast to keep clean, especially my maple fretboard.
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    FWIW, I put a Warmoth neck on my Squire bass about 15 or so years ago. Never put a finish on it. Totally bare Maple with an Ebony board. I love the feel of it and I have yet to have any problems what so ever with it.
  5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks guys. I am really curious to see if anyone has had any problems with the unfinished necks warping ect. That is the only reservation I have about it. I dont like how dirty it looks either but that is not that big of a deal.
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a stingray fretless 5. I recently had an epoxy finish applied to the fretboard. The main advantage is that the fingerboard does not get worn-out nearly as fast as it previously did. It also seems to sustain a bit better and has a little more "mwah" in the tone.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i went as far as to sand the back of my neck... no warpage and mine is a 94 model. given my fingerboard looks like death but no warpage.
  8. BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    my stingray has an unfinished neck, pretty stable but I have the adjust the truss rod more often than my satin finished pbass with graphite neck
  9. Very stable. Mines a 79, straight as an arrow.