Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the benefit of the unfinished Stingray neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 20, 2003.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Is it the lack of a "sticky" finish to make it faster feeling? Is there a trade off with the life of the neck? I am sure this has been hashed out, but I missed it.

2. I am pretty sure the "unfinished" finish is a satin finish. Not sticky but still kinda smooth. Unless they make a completly untreated necks....

3. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Ernie Ball necks are slightly waxed and oiled. By unfinished they mean that there is no clear coat like a Fender. To me anyway, the neck DOES feel faster. The only disadvantage is that unfinished necks are a beast to keep clean, especially my maple fretboard.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    FWIW, I put a Warmoth neck on my Squire bass about 15 or so years ago. Never put a finish on it. Totally bare Maple with an Ebony board. I love the feel of it and I have yet to have any problems what so ever with it.

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks guys. I am really curious to see if anyone has had any problems with the unfinished necks warping ect. That is the only reservation I have about it. I dont like how dirty it looks either but that is not that big of a deal.

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a stingray fretless 5. I recently had an epoxy finish applied to the fretboard. The main advantage is that the fingerboard does not get worn-out nearly as fast as it previously did. It also seems to sustain a bit better and has a little more "mwah" in the tone.

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i went as far as to sand the back of my neck... no warpage and mine is a 94 model. given my fingerboard looks like death but no warpage.

8. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    my stingray has an unfinished neck, pretty stable but I have the adjust the truss rod more often than my satin finished pbass with graphite neck

9. Very stable. Mines a 79, straight as an arrow.