1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best 210 out there

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yamaha, Apr 10, 2006.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I bought 2 210 cabinets this month, and i'm really a little bit dissapointed. When I use my gig setup (800RB - 2 X 115 JBL , and one of the two 210's, Biamped), my sound is loud, full, and a little bit colored, but perfect for 70's rock. For practices, I wanted to use my head full range, with one 210, as I practice at home, and with 2 different bands.

The first 210 I tried was the Hartke 210XL, and I liked it, thus bought it. Sounded pretty good in the store, but with a drummer, not enough low end to sound full, thin punchy mid bass sound, but decided to keep it since it seriously improved my 2 X 115 setup.

Again, went shopping, and after talking to bassists, reading reviews, etc...., I went for the Eden D210XLT. Full round complete loud punchy rich tone. Not too bad to carry to practices. But after a few songs, without changing volumes or the EQ settings, it started a rattle or fart from the cabinet, and I was only using it at about half power.

I'm going back to the store where I bought it this week, but I don't know if i'm going to exchange it for another Eden, or another cabinet.

What are your choices for a stand alone 210 bass cabinet at medium high volumes (My drummers play loud, but not rediculously loud, and I want to be heard, but not dominant)

Thanks

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've owned many 210 cabs in my long search for a small, lightweight cab that could cover a loud gig. With the introduction of nice sounding neo speakers, I've switched from 'small relatively heavy' 210's to larger, lighter speakers like the Epi310UL or 410UL and have been very please with the result.

I've never found a 210 that could really cover a medium to loud gig. The only small cab I've ever owned that can do what you are asking is the Schroeder 1210 and 1212. They have a unique sound that some like and some don't, but they will cover a loud gig, and are significantly smaller than a typical 210 cab. They have the mid punch of the Eden210XL, but are much smaller, quite a bit lighter, get MUCH louder, and have a much nicer tweeter and crossover IMO.

3. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    An Epifani 310UL is an awesome cab. I've had both regular and UL versions but I'm currently using an Epifani 210UL 4 ohm cab and have yet to play a gig it can't cover even with two loud guitarists.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This HT210S from Bergantino I just got is flippin' sweet. I played through Eden 210XLT's for quite a long time, they are great.

-Mike

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    My regular gigging cab is an EA VL-210b. But that may be cheatin' since it's actually got 2 10's 2 5's and a tweeter.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My three favorite 'stand alone' 2x10's would be the Bergantino HT210 (the larger, now discontinued model), the EA NL-210 (preferably in 4 ohm, if it's going to be a stand alone option), or the Glockenklang Duo or Duo Wedge. All three of these are very exceptional, and in my opinion, really seperate themselves from the pack, although the Markbass 102P that I just picked up might be in the running as well.

But, as Ken pointed out, a 2x10 is kind of an intermediate sized cab. It's bigger than you need for the really quiet stuff, but a single 2x10 is not quite enough for many of the larger gigs. If you truly need medium-sized gig support, then maybe it'd be ideal. But, for larger gigs, two 2x10's, a 2x10/1x15, a 3x10, or a 2x12 might be a better solution.

Hope this helps, Tom.

P.S.
    You can find my 2x10 shootout here.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    so would you say two ea nl210's would cover any gig?

EDIT: within reason, i'm talking indoor gigs here, not outdoor gigs.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    With decent amplification (say, iAMP 800), most definitely! That is a very loud (and great sounding) rig. :)

Tom.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 all the way around.... if you are willing to use two of them, any decent 210 model will cover the gig. I too very much like the sound of the EANL210 and the BergHT210S.

However, per the comment on the Epi210UL covering a loud gig... sorry, been there, tried that... no way... but two of them would also be awesome.

However, as I mentioned above, if you are committed to a single small cab and play loud.... get ye a 1212 or 1210! Otherwise, if you have no problem using two, all of the above suggestions are great.

Ken

10. I would stay with eden stuff
    i have used them forever
    i dont know why the one you bought acted up
    but its not common (at least not for my circle)

best tone in a 210 is eden

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Eden 210 is nice, and was pretty much the first model (the 210XLT) that was actually loud enough to do a small to moderate gig with.

However... lot's has changed in the last few years. While the Eden210XLT still sounds great, most of the cabs mentioned above are louder, MUCH lighter, smaller, and have more low end extension and sweeter high end. If you haven't tried any of the cabs above, and are doing gigs that a single 210XLT can handle, you might be pleasantly surprised at the sound/size/weight of some of the above cabs... IMO of course.

12. Rasi,

I think I might be the only lucky guy to have 2 off these babies in Australia. Man, I luv them.

I'm using just the one cab 80% of the time for wedding & corporate type gigs. Both cabs when I have to and man let me tell you it is a huge sound.

I'm driving them at the moment with an Eden WT550 which match up nicely. But I am saving hard to get the iAMP800 which I tested them with and it was the perfect match (as Tom stated). I think it's probably the cheapest 800 watt head going in the country out of the high end stuff at the moment.

The bottom end is huge and tightv and stays that way even when the volume is maxxed out. Believe me it is loud IMO.

The cabs are very neutral but warm, smooth,even and solid pretty much across the whole frequency spectrum. I basically get out of it what I put in which is one of the reasons I went for them.

I use to own an Eden 210XLT way back, they were OK except sometimes the Mid-Bump which is part of their voice, would be frustrating in trying to get the sound I wanted, but really they were also too heavy a lug for a 2x10 box.

The EA NL210 is probably the most portable, easiest to move around for a 2x10 box mainly because of the dimensions of the box not only the weight (20kg).

Cheers,

13. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The EA nl-210 is a loud beast. I cover medium sized gigs (ie: only kick drum mic'd) with it handling FOH on a regular basis. It is the only 210 that I've ever tried that could do that. For larger gigs I pair it with a cxl-112 with good results.

PS: It sounds pretty durned good too.

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've yet to hear a 2-10 cabinet that sounded as tight as the first generation SWR Goliath Jr.'s. They had the small tube port in the rear and although they couldn't produce the low end of the designs today, you could sure pump the juice to 'em and hear nothing but clean punchy sound!

I think the 210 cabinets of today are going for full range cabinet sound and as a result just use more open porting techniques. Standalone they sound great at low-med/low volume levels but can only be pushed so hard........

I will add though that even though it's not a true 2-10 cabinet (has a 6" midrange), the Accugroove Tri-210 is a nice standalone cabinet capable of some pretty clean high volume output.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I never had the pleasure of playing out of the original SWR Goliath Jrs. I felt the GIII Jr's were absolutely horrible... talk about breaking up at moderate volumes. But the originals sound like they might have been cool.

That Tri 210 is larger than some 410's... not into that!

If you haven't tried some of the newer 210's (EANL210, Epi210UL, BergHT210S), I have a feeling you might be in for a pleasant surprise. Much nicer that the original SWR/EA thing, in terms of volume, punch, weight and size IMO (and the little Schroeder 1210 and 1212 would totally blow you away!)

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1 on that!
    I have the old (silver grille and larger) model, but the newer HT 210 sounds great too! I would also strongly recommend a Bergie 112.

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I was completly happy with an Eden D210XLT and a Traveler 400 Head. More than enough for a moderate sized gig.

18. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well I just recieved my GK 210 and 115 RBH's. I cant believe how full the 210 sounds on its own and it really cranks! Its relatively light and I can easily carry it with one hand. Have yet to gig with either one but the 210 may be as loud and better sounding than my Ampeg 410. Can't wait to bring em both to practice and finally put the lid down on the guitarist.

19. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Man, you guys really know your stuff. In Montreal, I've only ever seen some Glockenklang. I've found the web sites for Schroeder, EA and Epifani though. I'll try and find these somewhere to try before I decide. Mark bass 210 was also recommended to me. Any thoughts.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I have the Markbass Traveler 2x10, the 102P, and it is extremely impressive for its size and weight. The tweeter is a little 'sharp' sounding relative to some of the other cabs I mentioned above, though.

Tom.