Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the BEST 5 stringer ever?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, May 28, 2004.

1. Ive always wanted to stick to a 4, but i realize that nowadays that low 5 is getting more and more popular. Now i find that the 4 string is limiting things for me(ie. theres lots of 5 string written music at my college). What is the best type of 5 string to get? It cant be way to expensive(2000 max?), since im a college student, and i want a good amount of string space between the strings for slapping and such. Any ideas fellas?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Saying 'the best' is quite subjective. Each person likes different things. I would definitely suggest the Warwick thumb 5 string. Probably my favorite 5 string that ive played on. Wide string spacing, is great for slapping.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yup it's mine!
    :smug:

Actually Figjam nailed it with the subjective thing.

as always, search, read, play, repeat

:bassist:

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You're looking for a simple answer to a very complex question. That's somewhat understandable, but the bottom line is that only you know what's best for you.

That aside: Fender Roscoe Beck 5. :p

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    What he said :D

The best advice I can give you is to get out and play as many 5's as you can and let your heart, ears, and hands decide for you. Don't even look at the name on the headstock. You will likely be surprised by what you discover about your tastes and choices.

Dan

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    what's the price range?

7. Of course you guys i know thats its a personal question, and i just wanted to know what you all thought personally was the best. Im looking at the corvette 5 ers right now. I find that sometimes i have a problem slapping with basses that have a neck pickup too close to the fretboard, thats why i like the corvette wth the single pickup. Thanks

8. $2000.00? You can buy some mighty fine 5 strings for far less money than that! Shop around, its all about the feel and the sound!
    Much Luck!

9. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    the one you like best is always the best 5 string!!

mine is Peavey Cirrus 5 it has a tone of its own!!

10. Please try a Lakland 5.

Which one?

Anyone!

11. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'll spare you the relativity of "best" speech and say that modulus quantums sound and play awesome. I'm not sure about the price situation for you though...

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Thumb bolt-on wide spaceing.
    Fender RB-5
    Padulla Rapture-5 single pickup

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sadowsky surely.....

or a Benavente vortex.

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My favorite 5 string is the Sadowsky NYC 5. I play mostly Jazz/Funk, R&B, and Blues. It has a tight B, plays like butter, and just sits perfectly in the mix. It is likely to be out of your price range used, but there are several high end 5s in the range. You should definitely check out a Lakland 55-94. Killer bass! You may also be able to find a used Benavente 5(playability is second to none).

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wouln't say this is the best, but when it's done, it's gonna be a pretty awesome bass!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Nino does Warmoth cut out your peghead shape for you? or do you do it? Just curious...

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I sent them a full size tracing of the design & they cut it.

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

19. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Jarod, you win dude, that Fodera is ELITE!

20. No one, regardless of bank account, pro status, or bass ownership, has any idea what will be the best "5-string" bass for you. You will have to decide that for yourself.

Best 5 stringer(s) for me, no contest, without a shadow of doubt:
    (Pedulla ThunderBass and LightWave Saber C)