1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best amp for all around sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anotherfenderbp, Dec 8, 2006.

1. anotherfenderbp

anotherfenderbp

Dec 8, 2006
    Since I'm switching from guitar over to bass, I would lke to know which amp has a very good quality sound and what a lot of you people use for amps.

2. Nemesis_2509

Nemesis_2509

Aug 23, 2006
    Texas
    That's almost like asking what the meaning of life is...almost.

Ha, no really, it all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. Being that you played guitar i'm sure you experienced that every amp has its own sound and you really just need to experiment and find what you want. Maybe if you gave us some more details as to what you are looking for (kind of tone, music style, price) we can help a little more.

There are many popular brands that people use: Ampeg, Hartke, GK, SWR, Eden, Markbass seems to be gaining popularity too.

Hope i helped some...:D

3. dude go for your own sound go to a shop and try stuff out

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Just like with guitar, "best" is a subjective thing. Some people love the sound of all-tube warmth, some people prefer the clean sounds of a good solid-state amp, for others a hybrid fits the bill. There are a multitude of options.

Some notable names...
    Ampeg
    Aguilar
    Gallien-Kreuger
    Mesa-Boogie
    Eden
    Ashdown

(I know someone will say "you forgot___", but this is all that comes to mind at the moment)

5. anotherfenderbp

anotherfenderbp

Dec 8, 2006
    I am looking for a stu hamm sound like he does on the solo on the satriani dvd for solos, but for like rock and metal I want something powerful and defined well, I don't want to have to buy a bunch of amps to achieve that.

6. Go Gallien Krueger

But why not expermient with EQ and get your own sound

7. Nemesis_2509

Nemesis_2509

Aug 23, 2006
    Texas
    Well stu hamm is a user of Hartke which i've found give you that tone he has. I havent found them to be versatile enough though. and if you want power for rock or metal that usually means something with a tube driven sound so maybe something all tube or a hybrid.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Stu Hamm sound...hmmm...
    Play for a few hundred thousand hours and develop some ridiculous chops. You might find Stu's sound along the way.

To me, nothing sounds more like rock 'n' roll than a Fender P and an Ampeg SVT.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    For a middle of the road, multi purpose sound- I'd go GK or Ampeg.

You could get a BBE Max preamp and a power amp.

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    don't forget the 'funk!!! Thunderfunk 550 some say its a cross between aguilar and eden and in between!!! I bought one sound unheard, but loved it anyway. but I prefer the darker heavier eden-ampeg type sounds, but it can play really thin/dry too!!!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden, period. WT-550. WT-800, or WT-1205.

12. I'd try out the Mesa 400+. They are very versitle, getting a pretty hi-fi tone if you want but also able to get a completely overdriven awesome fat rock tone. Try pairing it with Mesa cabs, but they are pretty expensive. I would also recommend trying it out with Bergantino, Ampeg, and Schroeder cabs...

13. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    The best amp for all around sound?

That would be the Aguilar DB750 with a Acugroove El Whappo.

Guaranteed to get sound all around!

14. BIG +1 million

15. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    You should be asking "What is the best amp for my sound". Think of what you want to sound like, then try out alot of stuff. Then, get what you like the best.

16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Just goes to show you how subjective "best all around" is! Just like guitar,there are so many other variables that effect tone,not just the amp by itself.String type,nickle or steel,pickups,amp eq settings,effects pedals,cabinets,all those factors contribute to the sound. Just take some time and try out "lots" of bass/amp combinations and go with what you like best. There is no such thing as "best all around amp",or best anything for that matter. It's purely subjective.

17. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    There is no question, ______ is the best amp.
    Now, spend the next 30 years filling in the blank, cause no matter which amp you buy there will eventually be that nagging little voice that says, "Perhaps the ______ amp will give me a better sound!"
    The most thrilling sound I ever had was playing through some monstrous Peavey tube guitar amp with my RBI pre. Would I want to carry it around? No.
    Check out the Markbass LMII. It certainly has a lot going for it. I like mine.
    I also like my 1200 watt power amp and separate RBI pre rig, but do I want to carry it around? No.

18. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Hey, nobody is making amps that don't work. So just go buy whatever's in your price range that you think looks kewl. You'll love it. Play with it for a while, get used to it, you'll swear by it. Next time someone asks for advice, you can sincerely recommend whatever you bought at random. Bad stuff is impossible to find.

Nobody here can tell you anything objective, and few have a truly broad range of experience and have tried everything at sufficient length and detail. Some of us have had some bad experiences, so we can assure you that anything in that category sucks. Even if it doesn't and we bought a lemon.

You have a bogglingly wide range of choices out there. My recommendation is to go to a store that has AT LEAST six choices, plug the same bass into all of them, and pick the one that sounds best to you. Probably the best you can do.

19. If you want the same old generic crappy tone everyone has, get an old ampeg svt and 810 along with a Fender P or Jazz bass.

If you want the most all around sound, prepare to pay a lot of money, the most versatile production bass is probaly the american G&L 2000 or 2500, then you'll need speakers that produce basically the tone of going direct to a huge PA, which would probaly be the accugroove el whappo or even two of them. Then you'll need a power amp that will be able to handle your volumes completely cleanly without pushing them, which may mean a Yamaha P7000s, which would power two accugroove el whappos fully. Then you'll probaly need an extensive graphic EQ to be versatile, so pick up a 30 band one or so. Then you'll need either one do it all preamp or several, such as a BBE BMAX for the cleans and a Sansamp for the tube warmth and use either or.

20. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    +20, 'cuz I've been using my Mesa Boogie 400+ for nearly 20 years, and it never fails to impress!