Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best amp I can get for $350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OriginalName, Apr 24, 2005.

1. In your opinion.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are you playing? Are you gigging? What is your competition? Do you have PA? It may be a good idea to just save up...

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I agree. If you don't need it yet, don't buy it.

We need to know your situation, and the kind of tone you're after.

And when you say $350, does that include cabs? If it does, you won't get much more than a used 100watt combo. If it's just an amp - let us know your situation and we can help.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    IMO, a used Peavey Firebass 700.

I bought mine at Music Castle for $300 and it's awesome. Wicked loud, and sounds great! Later, I got an Avatar 212 which can handle all 700 watts. A GREAT combination, if you ask me.

5. I just want an amp.

I have a really small amp that doesn't really work for the band I'm in. We play metal, if that matters.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your playing Metal, you should definately save up s'more money and just buy something more useful so that you can be satisfied long-term. ESPECIALLY if your guitarist has a lot of volume behind him.

My suggestion:
    Ashdown Mag Head

It's nothing too huge or spectacular but it would get the job done for you. But.... $350 would only cover one of those 2 items. It'd be about $600 for the full monte.

Its worth it to save up.... trust me. Because of you get a $350 combo amp, it probably wont be more than 200Watts through a 210 or 115... and that's if your lucky. And.... that wont cut it for you.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Just an amp? Yeah, I re-recommend the Firebass 700. You'll power right through your guitarist(s). :smug:

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    What kind of tone do you want, and are you willing to go used (some people aren't)?

I think a Sansamp and a power amp would do you lots of good. Find a Sansamp used around here for $100-150, and then a poweramp for $200 or so. It will sound a bit like tubes (tubes are commonplace in metal), but it won't be. There are millions of threads on this board on the Sansamp and nearly everyone has one. They're a great D.I. and I suggest getting one now or getting the new programmable one (BDDI is being discontinued, talk to your local shop, and the programmable one is the same thing but can store three presets). The BDDI will run you $180 or so new, the prorammable DI $200.

Another suggestion would be the new Gallien Krueger Backline 600. I've had it for one day and I'm finding it can do everything the Sansamp can. Gallien-Krueger has a fairly "hi-fi" sound without being "sterile" I think. It's transparent and punchy, and reacts well to adjusting your playing so far. I picked mine up for $270 plus tax at my local Guitar Center (a few sales reps wouldn't go below $299, but I talked to a guy on the phone that morning who was still there), or you can get one from Bass Northwest ( bassnw.com ) for nearly the same price plus shipping.

Go to your local music shop(s) and play anything and everything you can. Be sure to play through a bass and cab like yours (or even better, your own). If you can't do that, use a Precision or Jazz bass, they're solid benchmarks for the entire industry.

9. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Go used. You can get an Amper B-100R for that, They are very good amps.

10. +1 on that

Mon' the Firebass, brilliant amp, maybe not the best tone, but its a workhorse, these things are built to last, and will probably outlive everyone on this board then take over the planet when we are all gone :eyebrow:

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Peavey Firebass will be reliable as anything, but will weigh as much as his cab(s) each. That's the main reason why I don't have one, they weigh almost fifty pounds.

I run my GK with a "flat" tone (Treble and High Mids cut back to 10.5 o' clock) and do all the twiddling with my Sansamp. I think the GK gets more useful tones. I didn't even fiddle too much, just read the manual. Want it to sound warm? Crank the Boost and the Preamp. Sounded warmer than my Sansamp did when both were flat. I want my fingers to give the tone, but if that's not what you're into you can tweak a GK more than most.

12. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Just got rid of my ampeg...tooo muddy and not enuff power for metal :spit:

I suggest GK Backline 600 , or what I got GK Backline 210, both pump out 300 watts and have that classic GK sound and even a distortion channel.. :hyper:

13. Pfft, its heavey cus its made of stone, not measly circuit boards like most SS amps :p

And if the weight really matters that much, hah, nevermind

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yorkville XM200. Loud as hell. Great tone. RUGGED!

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $350...USED Peavey or GK head, any used cabinet with at least 1-15 or 2-10 inside.

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've bought all my heads for under $400 used (Hartke 5000 - $350, Sunn Coliseum 300 - $225, Sunn Sorado - $200) Just keep looking around and trying stuff out. My Hartke 5000 keeps up with 2 Peavey 5150's cranked pretty nicely with my Avatar 410 Delta but I would like to retire it soon and switch to the Sunn Coliseum 300 and add in a power amp to my rack for when I need more power at shows as the Coliseum keeps up but can't cut through as well as the Hartke can.

17. cant you use the poweramp section of the hartke, with the sunn as a pre?

no experience with either, so could be very wrong, just seems logical

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would love to use the Hartke as a poweramp but it doesn't have the ability to be used as a power amp. it just has 4 speaker outs and an effects loop on the back.

To get back on topic a bit. Maybe save for a bit more and pick up a Kustom Groovebass and a cab with speakon connectors. 1200 watts should be all you need for a metal band.

19. +1 on a Firebass. I picked one up recently. With a 2x10 It's plenty loud vs. a loud singer, drummer, and guitarist with a 120watt blue voodoo. Just don't cut any mids because thats where this amp gets its loudness from. It wasn't loud enough for me to hear myself on stage at my gig this past weekend (500+ people, PA supported) but with more speakers I would've been fine.