Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best audiophile preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Any good audiophile preamps out there? Post away. Marc

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    This month's Bass Player Magazine has a detailed run down on about 5 high-end audiophile recording preamps, more than $2000 each. The Avalon looks mighty tasty . . .

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Avalon U5 is a great plug-and-play class-A recording box. One knob controls 10 preset EQ curves, and that's about it. There isn't even an on switch.

Also, it looks cool. Costs about $500.

4. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

For the last year I've been using a pre from a German Co. called Mind Print. The model name is EnVoice, and it is a smoking pre-amp. It is a class-A pre-amp inta a 3-band semi parametric EQ, into a tube compressor. The EQ and comp are very transparent and musical, and the tube can be saturated to taste seperate from the comp, and it is very responsive to your attack. I got mine for $399, which was a steal. Don't know the exact list on it but I think its around $800. I've never played through a better pre, different but not better. Its the tone I've always been searching for. Thanks for letting me rant, Johno!
    P.S. They can be found at www.mindprint.com.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    An aquaintance of mine has the Avalon 737 in his little studio, and I've been thinking of asking him if I could borrow or rent it from him for a month to see how much I might like it.

that would make four pre-'s...jeez.

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Where do I get one of those Envoice preamps? Sam Ash is sold out, but I want one! Do they preserve the original sound of the bass or do they add too much tube sound? Does this work well for live applications also? Thanks

7. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

The EnVoice definitly preserve the sound of your bass. In fact this thing sounds awsome w/the EQ disengaged. The tube saturation can be dialed in and even at extreme settings is very musical, and very responsive to your playing. Really dig in and get some grit, or back off and get big tube roundness.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Camn you compare it to anything else? Aguilar, ampeg, SWR? I like a hifi sound also, can you dial out the tube sound if needed? How does it work for live applications? THANKS

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I own a Millennia STT-1 Origin like the one in the Bass Player Mag. review. It's simply the most transparent sounding pre there is.

Of course you can always dial in the award winning EQ or compression for even more tonal variations. No matter how you dial it in, it's the ultimate in clean & tone. (Just don't look at the price tag) www.mil-media.com

Whappo

10. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

The SWR and the Ampeg have a signature sound. I can't comment on the Ag as I've never owned one. With the EnVoice,I get the tone of my bass and my hands w/very subtle tone shapeing through the EQ. The tube is after the pre, EQ and comp, and it has a saturation knob that lets you dial in as much tube sound as you want. From none at all to burly(not quite an OD, but a nice PHAT warm tube fuzz). You can turn all the goodies off and hear your bass straight through the pre-amp. Even this has a very desierable warming of your bass tone. Still the sound of your bass, but better. Hope this makes sense, and helps w/your quest for "your" tone. Peace, Johno!

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Sorry to bug you, last question, I swear! Does it work well in live situations? (rack) THANKS!

12. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Thats (live) mainly where I use mine. I have it racked in a pedal board (I run my pedals straight into it) and run a TRS to cannon back to a Mackie powered cab (either an SM450 or 1530 depending on the gig) and take a cannon out to FOH. I use very little EQ, and for the first time in my career, I get the tone I'm looking for every time I plug in. I guess you could say the Mind Print is my Holy Grail. Peace, Johno!

13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Thanks again!

14. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Any time!:) !

15. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    Anybody tried the Summit stuff?
    esp. the TD-100

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how 'bout the glockenklang stuff? would that be considered audiophile? i really don't know what audiophile means...

*ignorance just hanging out in the wind*

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It sure is!

Glockenklang Bugatti or BassArt preamp...hmmm!
    Class-A heaven.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on...i had noticed that glockenklangs are used a lot for bass reviews because they are so impartial to the bass. you get out exactly what goes in. i dunno...in my case, that might be detrimental :eek:

19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Somebody say some more about the Glockenklang...Are they too pricey? How do they sound (pre's, this is), Thanks

20. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm infatuated with the Manley Voxbox processor. From what I've heard, it beats even the Avalon 737, though it lists for about $5000.