Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best bass for around $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModulusMaster, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Ive been working all summer to buy yet another bass to add to my collection. the doctor told me my G.A.S. was normal. What bass do you think is the best sound, value, etc.....for around $1000 give or take a few hundred bucks?

2. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I love the tone and playability of the Kubicki bass. You can find a used one for around $600.00 to $900.00.
    Good Luck

http://www.kubicki.com/

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say get a groove tools gt7 by conklin. that'll cure your gas and then some.

4. If you're looking at keeping it at 4 or 5 strings, a G&L L-2000 or L-2500 should come in right around $1k new. Even then, you could find a used one for quite a bit less than that.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A Sterling or Stingray offers great value in this price range, if it's your thang.

6. Music Man Sting Ray, or the Lakland Skyline 44-01 or 55-01, which ever is your bag baby ;). The Laklands are only about $700. They are definitely good basses. Play one, you'll like it.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    warmoth ash j-bass body
    moses graphite neck
    j-retro
    ABM bridge
    Dimarzio ultra-jazz pups

8. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    It's not a great bass if you want one bass to have a range of different characters.....BUT if you like the looks, tone and feel of a Rickenbacker it is an excellent choice for about $950.

9. Absolutely. I bought a Stingray 4 last December and have to say that I am still overjoyed everytime I plug it in. Not as flashy as some other makes, but, their feel and tone are exactly what I like.

Oh, if you like Fender, check out this special at M/F:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...8164639961/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/44518

If I were looking for a bass right now I would jump on this. $799.00 is what regular MIA Precisions usually go for; this has the J pickup by the bridge and the case is included, AND you get free shipping. Good night nurse! This is a super deal.

Good luck with whatever you get.
    Mike J.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    For a grand you can have a few options:

A few of them are:

Fender MIA Dlx Jazz or Precision
    Peavey Cirrus
    Conklin Groove Tools
    Ibanez BTB
    Used Ernie Ball MM Stingray
    Spector
    Carvin

By the way, the best one is the one that sounds and plays best to you

11. Dean Edge Improv (neck through, EMG active pickups and tone contols, figured maple top). Around $850
    www.deanguitars.com

Brian Moore i4 bass (neck through, "designed by Lane Poor" active pickups and tone controls, figured maple top).
    Around $800 www.bmcguitars.com

Godin BG-4 bass (bolt-on, Bassline active pickups and tone contols, figured maple top).
    Aound $850
    www.lasido.com

12. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Stupid question...But what does G.A.S. mean?

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Gear
    Acquisition
    Syndrome
    :)

14. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    My personal choice: RICKENBACKER!

15. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, thanks! :D

16. You can get one of these babies for around 7-800 used. I have seen a few over at the dudepit for sale.

They are an excellent bass, made well, sound great, light, perfectly balanced, great neck profile.

You don't see them everyday but worth looking for one IMO.

But, as was said before, the best bass is what sounds good to you, what feels comfortable to you, etc. I have 3 Pedullas, 2 Fenders, A Rick,a Guild, etc and they all are great for what they do (sound etc). So, play as many as u can and then decide (it's kinda like dating)

17. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Fender Roscoe Beck 5 is a great bass for the money. The tone is terrific and the bass plays really well especially if you like a wide neck. If not try a Musicman Stingray 5.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll agree with the Rapture J2 recommendation, particularly the 5 string model. I love mine, and it's got a great low B string.

19. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The discontinued MTD Grendel.