What is the best bass in the $500-$750 price range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rhty89, Jan 1, 2005.

1. rhty89

Dec 30, 2004
    What is the best bass in the $500-$750 price range, and why?
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    What is the best flavor of ice cream?

Open-ended questions are essentially unanswerable. What kind of music do you play? What bassists are you influenced by and would like to be able to emulate?

There are a LOT of great basses in that price range. Which one is "best" is impossible to answer. Which one would be a good choice for your needs is answerable, if we know more about your needs.
  3. I'd go used in that price range. You can get a MIA P or J for approx $500 and have some change left over. If you like active basses better, you could score a Stingray used for the upper end of that price range. Also, you could likely nab a used Cirrus for that price (great basses!). If you want new, that'll limit your options, but you could get a Lakland Skyline for that price...
  4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I've got a mint Fender Geddy Lee for sale ... $550 + shipping. These are great basses as you can find among the many threads on this forum.
  5. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hard the answer it is, little grasshopper.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    G&L Tributes are spankin' good instruments in that price range. The Geddy Lee jazz bass is swank too -- especially after tossing on a nice red pearl pickguard, ne? :)
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you want to buy new in that price range, Geddy Lee Jazz.
  8. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Are Made in Japan Fenders any good?

Are they better than the MIA ones you're talking about? What would be a typical price for one?

9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah they are good. I consider them to be just as good as MIA, except more consistant. Usually the only thing that feels cheaper about them is the hardware at times.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Big +1 here. Plus, the hardware on the Geddy is only halfway MIJ -- the bridge is a Leo Quann Badass II! :)