What is the best bass under $1000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheMadSkanker, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Hey, i have been looking at a few basses, new and on ebay, and i want some opinions on what the best buy for the money is. i have been looking mostly at the fender american deluxe p and jazz basses, the music man sterling, and the modulus flea bass. i am going to be dropping quite the large sum of money to get this bass, so i just want some opinions on what your fav of those basses is. if you have some other top quality basses or something to add, please do.
    thanks for the help
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'd go for the flea - they're sweet. Probably not as versatile and useful as your normal american jazz though...
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This is the best bass for under $1000.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=920374398"><b><u>CLICK HERE</u></b></a>
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There is no best, but there are a bunch of very good ones. MIM Fender and MTD Kingston to name just a couple.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Best is so hard to define. What is best for me might suck for you.

The 2 leaders in bang for the buck, new under $1000 are the MTD Kingston 5 and the Laklnad Skyline 55-01.

If you are talking four stringers, the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee has to be near the top in bang for the buck, and so does the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub.
  6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    MTD Kingston or MIM Fender, or a MIA Fender if you can find one under 1k.

A very nice fretless under 1k would be the Cort Curbow series. Nice 5 fretless.
  7. Let's cut to the chase...go to Willie's (Cleveland & St. Clair in St. Paul) and check the Laklands; they should have some Skylines pretty close to $1,000. Then, on your way home, go to Encore Music (24th & Lyndale, S. Mpls); they were a Reverend dealer and I heard they still have several new-old-stock Rumblefish basses there. You know where to find the Fenders, etc. I've never found a bass that I like more than my Rumblefish.
  8. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    My number one bass is a Warwick Corvette which I purchased for $800 in '96. Unfortunately, I don't think they are making them with wenge necks anymore, which would lean me towards www.warmoth.com for a custom P or J.
  9. I would choose a 73-76 vintage P, heavy heavy ash with a maple neck and fret board would be my choice. They normally go for 500-900 for a good one. Yes my back does hate me!!
  10. Thanks for the input guys.
    I am more interested in a 4 string than a 5, but its nice to know the best that is out there. Does that Geddy Lee Bass have active or passive pickups? i have heard about that the "Badass 2" bridge is pretty nice, and i think that it is standard on it, right? Well anyway , thanks for the help , i appreciate it.
  11. The one that makes you sound great and gets you the most gigs!

It depends on what styles you play, how many strings you want, American-made or foreign, what dealer you going through....
  12. embellisher

The bass is old school, passive pickups. They are the same ones that were in the 60's reissue model. And yes, the Badass II is standard. I love my Geddy Jazz. If it had at least one more string, it would be my main player.
  13. the only geddy lee bass that i have seen is a Mexican one... there must be an american one though, right? hey, embellisher you want to hook a brother up? are you selling? anyway, how much do those things go for? i saw one on ebay for $600
  14. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I thought all Geddy Lee's were MIJ???

I liked the Geddy Lee I tried out a few months ago more than any MIA Jazz I've ever played. Couldn't believe it was going for $600 new. Loved the neck. I wish it was available with a natural finish and black pickguard. I know that's not what Geddy plays, but hey that's what I like.
  15. embellisher

The MIJ is the only Geddy Lee model. New, they are between $600-$650. The fit & finish is close to the American Series and IMHO the Geddy Lee sounds better than the MIA. Mine is not for sale. At least not yet.:(
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of the many, many basses I have played, new 4s under 1000, the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub is the clear cut winner. I played the Skyline BG against the Lakland USA BG, and the Skyline hand more mojo for me than the USA. If I had 800, I woulda walked outta the store with it. The Lindy Fralin pups KICK and the neck is pure joy.

I think if I were to get a non-custom 4, it'd be a toss up between that and a Modulus Q4.

Which is another bag altogether, and one of the best 4s I've played in my life, and used, they might well go for the better part of under $1K. I dig dig DIG them.