1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the best book on theory?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by azfryguy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    By best I mean what is the easiest to understand for someone who doesnt know much about theory. I am talking the whole 9-yards scales,modes,chords,time sigs,corcle of 5ths everything.

Thank you very much

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Edley's, as posted in fearceol's post. I love it because:

A. He doesn't assume you know how to read music, but he makes a very good case for learning the language of music.
    B. He doesn't assume you play keyboards.
    C. He doesn't limit his teaching to treble clef
    D. He uses examples from all sorts of music, not just western European classical music.
    E. He explains things in a logical sequence that allows you to build your knowledge practically instead of getting a lot of disjointed knowledge (like what happens when you teach yourself from the internet).
    F. His diagrams are very very clear and informative. They look like what I used to draw for my students 25 years ago (except his are legible!!).

It's precisely the resource I wish I'd been able to provide my students when I was teaching bass and guitar in the '80s.

John

4. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    thanks guys I want to go to get my bachelors in music comp theory and jazz music and dont want to walk into collage a newb

5. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
  6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    From what I've studied and learned from the General Instruction forum on TB, no single source is going to work for chords, scales, modes, walking, and other theory related to the bass clef & bass guitar...

A pile of books, lessons, and a lot of time in the woodshed should count for an excellent understanding of theory.