What is the best cab configuration for Ampeg SVT CL Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bfidel, Nov 29, 2020.

1. bfidel

bfidel

Feb 13, 2009
    Hello all- I recently was bestowed an Ampeg SVT CL amp. I was curious if anyone here has tried this amp with the Classic Series 410HLF Cabinet , SVT 212AV Cabinet, or two SVT 112AV Cabinets.

I'm not really interested in the 810 Cab as I don't need that kind of thing in my life!

Thanks!

DoomShroom likes this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I think you would be better off with either a 212AV or pair of 112AVs. The 410HLF has extended lows that tend to be loose, sloppy, and boomy with the SVT. The impression I get is most people who love the 410HLF cab are hitting it with big solid state power that has more control over the lows.

3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Having two 212's would be ideal if your not opting for the 810. Like @Wasnex said...the 410HLF is going to take some finessing with the EQ and possibly a HPF to get balanced sound out of it.

Most tube amps are like classic muscle -- the simpler, the better. The 212's are going to be the most transparent and aggressive of choices given.

4. I tried my SVT CL with a good, known 2x12 once and found it unsatisfying in the bottom end. There may be others that work better, I don’t know. I used the SVT with an Ampeg 6x10 for years and was happy. While some don’t, some folks like the 4x10hlf.

Bent77, bfidel and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not a CL but I did use a pair of the 112AV cabs with my SVT for a while. I’ve since moved on to a similarly designed 2x12 but either the 212AV or a pair of 112AV would be a great match for an SVT.

bfidel likes this.
  6. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I've sorta adopted the thought that my CL works better with sealed cabs, namely two Classic 4x10s. I found the Heritage 410HLF sounded better with my GK 1001RB-II, but was muddy with my CL.

bfidel and christopea like this.
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    A pair of pairs of 215 cabs is the best thing to go with an SVT.

bfidel, Heavy Blue, logdrum and 3 others like this.
  8. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    I just bought a SVT412HE. Can't wait to fire up the SVT CL with that bad boy later

bfidel and Bent77 like this.
  9. I ran 8 10's for years. Recently picked up a 2 12 av. Closest sounding cab to an 8 10 that I have heard. They ain't cheap though. Two of them would probably do just about anything 8 10's would do and save some weight to boot. Not a big fan of 4 10's for sound or convenience.

bfidel likes this.
  10. Find a used Bergantino NV610. You're welcome. :)

jastacey, bfidel and rodl2005 like this.
  11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    610hlf (2 of them)

Two 212avs (or 1 I guess)

2 112avs

2 410hes

4 115hes

4 115 hlfs

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    bfidel likes this.
  12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    The Ampeg 410HLF is the worst cab I've ever had the misfortune of owning. It was all about washed out mids and lots of mud. Extremely boomy on stage, I could never hear myself properly with that cab, even if the volume was more than adequate. It's an extremely poorly voiced cab. The weak mids made it borderline useless for recording too. The day I got rid of that cab was one of the best days in my life.

(Some people seem to like them though... I try to understand why but I just can't!)

bfidel, Bent77, shadven and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Anything but the 410HLF. I owned it and tried to like it with my svt-cl. Too boomy. Don’t do it.

bfidel and Tim Skaggs like this.
  14. I have the 410HLF and don't find it to be boomy at all. I use with it with an SVT 3PRO.

I'm not sure why the HLF has such a bad reputation. With the tweeter on and EQ set to taste... it sounds great.

bfidel likes this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    A pair of 410HEs is pretty much equivalent to an 810E. The 410s have tweeters and I believe the internal volume is slightly less, but they use the same 10" drivers as the 810E.

As far as the rule about tube amps working better with sealed cabs, it's sort of an urban legend with a bit of truth behind it. My Genz Benz 1288Ts seems to work great with all of my tube amps. In contrast, my home brew EV TL405s are great with some tube amps, and a bit uneven with others. I would say the TL405s sound pretty good with my SVTs, but are not great with my Aguilar DB359.

I also own a Greenboy Dually loaded with Faital 15PR400s. This cab is intentionally designed to be very old school sounding, and I tend to like a more modern, full range sound. I tend to like this cab best when I am using one of my high-powered solid state or hybrid amps. It sounds pretty decent with my Reeves 400 though.

I don't own any sealed cabs. The first bass rig I ever bought was an brand new MTI era SVT and 810. I had never heard or seen one in person, but I wanted the best and bought it off of reviews and magazine articles. When the amp came in I hated the way it sounded and actually thought something was wrong with it. Over the years I have learned that is just how SVTs sound with 810s. It was special ordered so I was stuck with it.

I guess the point is...I think tube amps sound fine with ported cabs, but YMMV :cool:.

bfidel likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    People have different preferences. Also there are different eras of 410HLFs with slightly different voicings. Also an SVT 3-Pro has a lot more flexible EQ than an SVT CL.

So there are lot's of factors relating to why the 410HLF may or may not be desirable. IMHO, don't take it personally. If you like it and the people in your band dig your sound, rock out and be happy :bassist::hyper:.

bfidel likes this.
  17. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have tried the SVT CL and V4B with the SVT410HLF (Heritage) and the SVT212AV and I think the 212AV offers the best tone for me. The 212AV lows were controlled and the mids we great and not smothered in the low end freqs. Since you can't use the 112AV alone with the SVTCL, I don't see that as a viable option (unless you have another amp) or you buy two (which is more weight and more cumbersome).

The 7PRO into the Heritage 410HLF sounded tremendous though!

bfidel and Wasnex like this.
  18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Specs suggest a pair of 112AVs would have a bit more low end extension than a 212AV.

212AV
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 71 Hz -18 kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10 dB): 40 Hz
    112AV
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 70 Hz-18 kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10 dB): 35 Hz

The F3 is only different by 1hz, but F3 is different by 5hz.

bfidel likes this.
  19. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah, there are specs and there is real life. I have owned both the 112AVx2 and 212AV and the 212AV sounds very similar. Maybe there is a difference, but I would think you would need some good ears to notice the difference...The audience definitely wouldn't notice.

bfidel and Wasnex like this.
  20. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I have not had the pleasure of owning one of the all tube SVTs but many years ago I ran an SVT 3 Pro into a SVT410HLF cab. I will echo others comments that the 410HLF is extremely boomy and hyped in the low end. It didn't work for me at all, but that was before I knew anything about HPFs.

If I were to choose an Ampeg cab for an SVT that wasn't an 810, I would likely be looking first at the SVT212AV.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    bfidel likes this.