1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best combo amp under $400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Famous927, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Famous927

Famous927

Jul 26, 2012
    I've been playing bass for around 9 months now and I'm still using the little 200 dollar Peavey i got when i first started. I'm looking to get a bigger amp because me and my buddy are starting to play bigger venues. Any suggestions on what i should get?

2. TC BG250

J

3. A bigger Peavey combo....should easily spend less than $400 on a used one.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Markbass, ampeg, peavey, ashdown and the list goes on. My personal favorites are Markbass and Ampeg.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Let me preface the following comment by saying that I actually disliked the Peavey VB2 when I owned it....

With that in mind, I can say that I've been thoroughly impressed by Peavey combos. Even my MAXBASS 1x10 combo sounded great to my ears. Normally I'm not a fan of Peavey stuff, but I've had good experiences with their combos. I would recommend AGAINST getting a combo, since a head/cab rig would be more flexible, but if you are stuck on getting a combo then the Peaveys aren't that bad at all.

There are a ton out there though, if you don't dig the Peavey you could always try a Carvin, Fender, Ampeg, or countless other combos.

6. Famous927

Famous927

Jul 26, 2012
    Yea the people i play with all tell me(because im fairly new to music) that the best way to make a peavey sound good is take the peavey decal off. lol and yes i am stuck with combo amps at this particular point in time.

7. There's a lot of "gear snobs" who spout such nonsense bashing Peavey, but those folks usually wouldn't know a good-sounding rig if they heard it. I guess it's just fashionable to bash Peavey, or maybe it's their way of feeling superior?

All the Peavey gear I've had--and I've got a ton--has been very reliable and quite decent sounding (with only one exception: a Triumph 60 guitar combo). They may not have the cachet of a boutique amp, but their bass amps usually sit well in the mix and just keep working...and working...and working....

8. G-K has wonderful sounding/performing combos out in the MB line, MB112, MB115 series I and the updated series II.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    +1

10. zsahadak

zsahadak

Mar 4, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    GK MB115

11. + 4. GK MB115.

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm with Nashville Bill. None of the higher-powered Peavey combos has ever failed to impress the hell out of me through the years. Today's TNT and TKO combos look pretty sweet.

13. If I was going to look for a combo, I would have the GK's at the top of my list.

That said I dont really see a combo as a good upgrade for volume. Combo's are about portability. With your budget you can get a lot more volume out of used gear. Sure it may not be light, but what are you looking for? Volume or portability? If you want both your options are pretty limited with your budget.

14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    +1 great light combo.

Imo the new Peavey combos do not perform as well as the older heavy slightly ugly ones.

15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Guitar Center is currently blowing their Acoustic line out the door to make way for the new incoming models. I just picked up this B200 combo for $199 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo-104813787-i1399999.gc), marked down from $350 - It's got quite a lot of juice & great tones. Read about it here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/acoustic-b200-1x15-combo-845540/. And here is the next step up for $350: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B450-450W-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-484907-i1612369.gc - this one is normally in the $600 price range. I tried every amp in the store under 500 beans, & seriously these had the best tone by far. If you live near one I encourage you to take your bass down there & plug into all amps in your price range. Happy Hunting! :bassist:

16. If you're going the combo route, you should put the TC Electronic BG250 on your list for consideration. Tone, volume and feature-wise, it's getting very high marks from most.

If you're going with a combo and trying to keep open the possibility of expansion, the BG250 doesn't have an external speaker output. You might make external speaker output something you specifically look for. Alternatively, GK is coming out with powered cabinets that take DI. That might make a GK combo-based rig a point in favor of starting with a GK combo to build on.

17. $400 new or used? big difference in what you can buy.

I played through a GK MB112 at Sam Ash the other day that sounded very good. Only 200 watts and it was at my ear level when auditioning, so that might change in a gig situation.

18. MY 2 CENTS ever since 2009: [ GC] Acoustic B200 combo. Plenty of pwer, tone, line-out for DI to PA.

A little heavy, but I am older; I LOVE MINE.

19. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I have no complaints about my SWR WM15...use it weekly...and it's easy to cart around town. Used in the right situation/room it's hard to beat it. Paid $250 for it. $$ well spent in my case.