1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best eq pedal to get...and what do i do about my lows???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billybo, Sep 9, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    they dont sound that good...what can i do to make my lows sound better...and what yall think about me gettin an eq pedal??is it worth it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Please post your bass and amp (hint: fill out your profile).

Usually you need more than an EQ pedal.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You might wanna try out an enhancer, that errr... enchances your sound.

BBE, Sonic Maximizer, Aphex Aural Exciter, Behringer Ultrafex, to name but a few.

Personally I tend to use eq to cut out ugly frequencies. The enhancer gives more...ooomph.

If your sound it that bad that no tweaking can improve it, a serious rethink of amplification might be in order.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. there's no point buying an EQ and trying to make changes that your speakers can't handle.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah man, what kind of gear do you have?

6. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i got a 5 satring fender acticve j bass....it aint that bad but..when i slap it doesnt come out like it soppuse to...when i pluck its louder but thumpin with the thumb..dont sound to good....i use the pa system whereever i play at..i dont have my own rack and all that..just a 10 watt practice amp

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's your problem!

8. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    well i use whatever sound is already set up at the club or whatever... they have a full pa system there..and i cant afford my own rack....but...im 17....so whats my next best step...should i get an enhancer or eq??

9. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    and all i need is a 10 watt to practice on at home...

10. My advice here would be, get a bigger amp. But still keep the 10 watt practice amp for.. well, practicing!

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, PA's don't offer much in the way of tone from a bass. Get a job for a bit, kiss some ass and get yourself at least a decent combo, I guaruntee it'll sound better than the PA and you'll be able to get that tone you want.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hear ya. But an enhancer or an EQ would almost certainly be a waste of money. Here's why.

Whatever changes the effects make to your sound will not be reproduced by the speaker. In your original post you spoke about improving your lows. You could use the EQ to boost the bass frequencies, but your speaker is already producing as much bass as it can. At high volumes, all that will happen is the speaker will start moving too far, distort, and maybe blow. At lower volumes, it will probably sound all muddy and wooly.

Put your money towards a decent combo. As for practicing, you can use the 10 watt amp, or just turn the combo down.

13. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    ok..so how much does a decent combo costs...and how am i suppose to get it too all shows??

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [​IMG]

This one would run about $340 and I think musiciansfriend.com is running free shipping over $299.99.

How would you transport it? How do you transport your bass? ;)

15. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    oh..im thinkin about them cabinets..but i dont think you could hear me at a gig with that by itself..that looks like a regular amp to me...

so i take that to a show and plug it up and come out that small things...vs the big ass speakers they have??

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That things loaded with a 12" speaker pushing 100 watts, plenty of sound for most small venues. I use something just a bit smaller (70 watts) for acoustic gigs. I use my GK stack for large metal gigs.

And when all else fails, its got a Direct out so you can tap the PA for extra power. I've needed that a few times in large venues.

17. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    ok so i could use that at an average club..so if i put it all the way in the back and im in front on the stage..i could still hear it well along with drums and keyboards and mikes and all that??

18. You could use a moniter system, or you could simply mic it if you don't like the DI signal it gives.

19. i would recommend the Boss Bass EQ or the MXR 10-band EQ that was reviewed in a recent BassPlayer. It got a sublime review.