Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best "lightweight" amp in the market?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lovejoy Band, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Hello everyone,

I own a David Eden Metro Combo 2x10 amp and additional 2x10 cab which weak little me can't carry by myself.

I LOVE the amp's TONE but it's frustrating having to rely on the guys in my band to help me carry my gear.

I just bought a Roland DB 500 12' combo but haven't found the right settings yet.

What do you think is the best "light weight" amp on the market?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well there's tons of threads on this but...............

if you dig the eden tone i would suggest investing in an eden wt-550 amp and gig bag. IME, the eden head had more to do with the tone of the metro than the cab (i owned an eden wt-400 and eden 210xlt, but used the head with a lot of other cabs).

then i would look into some of the more lightweight cabs out there like EA wizzy cabs, bergantino 1x12 cabs, aguilar 1x12 cabs, etc. a pair of any of those should be super easy to move (bass and one cab on one trip, amp and 2nd cab on 2nd trip) for anyone and should be somewhere between as loud as your metro by itself and your metro with an extension cab.

3. GK Neo cabs deserve a look here too, specifically the 1x12. Got mine open box for 300 bucks and I can crank it for use in a large sanctuary for youth group, or I can use it for those quiet coffee house gigs. Very versitile, light weight cab IMO.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the genz benz neo cabs also seem to be really cool for not much money. i nfact, all neo cabs deserve a look. (i was ust prodding bag end the other day to look into putting neo drivers in their cabs, not that the S15 is a monster at 44 lbs).

The epifani neo 310 is one of my all time favorite neo cabs. Way lighter and easier to move than a single eden 210XLT - big time, and i have lots of experience.

i will second my reccomendation for the eden wt-550. if you like the eden tone that's a rediculously portable head (especially in it's gig bag) and the 550 is very cool as it is 2 ohms stable. (my major beef with the wt-400 was that it could only go down to 4 ohms)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    there is no "best", just lots of amazin's...

EA iAMP-800
    Thuderfunk
    Acoustic Image Focus
    Epifani UL502
    Eden WT550

and search is your friend ;)

6. Every amp is a light amp when you have one of these...

[​IMG]

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The aguilar AG500 is a very potent, very lightweight head.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    can't forget (or get) Walter Woods Ultra and 2 112s of choice

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Toronto-based? Have you been to Club Bass? At the "Club" there's some really good lightweight gear to chose from - Mark Bass amps and cabinets and some really fine Bergantino cabinets. If you hurry, I think Dave also has a lightweight iAMP as well. Check out www.clubbass.ca for details.

I used to have Eden gear but have moved to lighter weight stuff myself (Euphonic Audio, Mark Bass and Bergantino). Not only is this stuff lighter than what I used to carry, I think it sounds better too.

(An ex-Eden owner)

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My "lightweight" rig is a Thunderfunk 16lbs and a Schroeder 1210 47lbs or Bergantino HT12's 39lbs ;)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

sooo true... :smug:

course, would love to see that thing go up a flight of stairs... :meh:

as for cabs, while there are lots of killer lightweight cabs like EA's NL210, Epifani's UL 2x10, etc., heard the Avatar Neo cabs getting alot of press for their affordability.

www.avatarspeakers.com

12. It's been a very long time since I've been stuck with a flight of stairs in public buildings or businesses. California laws requiring access for the handicapped pretty much says there's got to be a ramp or an elevator available somewhere.

13. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    SansAmp Bass Driver and an XLR cable

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for cool collapsable hand trucks click here

the cart-a-bag option has rails for going up stairs as well. :)

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Eden heads are fairly light , my traveler weighs in at 16 lbs., The acoustic Image stuff is mighty impressive and way light! The key is the cabs, check out some of the neo stuff, Epi, GK, are excellent, I had Don at low Down sound build me a 2/10 neo, weighs 40 lbs, cost half of what an Epi cost, and moves almost as much air as my Eden 410T Impressive!

16. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    IMO, The Ashdown ABM-500 Evo II is a great lightweight head.

FWIW, My experience has been that it is really hard to get away with anything smaller than a 210 for most gigs. In fact, I pretty much always use a 410, sometimes with the Ashdown and sometimes with a much heavier pre/power setup.

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    BTW, i totally agree with the statements that there are other great lightweight heads out there. I was just recomending the WT-550 so hard as LJB already stated that she liked the tone of her eden metro. IME, the edn heads retain 90%+ of their character regardless of what cab(s) they are played thru. I played my WT-400 thru about a zillion cabs, and it always sounded like an eden.

FWIW, if you generally used the metro's "simpler" channel, don't be put off that the 550 only has the more "complex" semi-parametric one. IME fiddling around with a metro, the 2 sound almost the same. More importantly, you don't have to use all those knobs. ;)

these days I'm stuck with just a 150 watt SWR electric blue (makes the eden seem heavy), and for most gigs, a stewart 2.1 20# poweramp in one skb 2-space rack, and a demeter 201 1.5 space pre in another skb 2-space rack. My bag end S12 and S15 arent as light as many of the cabs mentioned, but they're no monsters.

Still, i'm jonesing for a ruxxac or cart-a-bag to give me "one trip" potential, and i'm looking forward to the day when i can afford another 400-or-so-watt head of the "highly portable", "fits in a shoulder strap gig bag", and hpoefully less than 19" wide variety. Big on my list are the thunderfunk and wt-550, (one of each would be nice) and what the heck, i might as well take a WW ultra, aggie 500 and i-amp too. :D

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use a Mesa Walkabout Scout Combo. Lots of power and fairly light at 49 lbs. You can remove the 300 watt head and use it to drive different cabs which I've done a number of times. The head weighs 15 lbs and you can get a soft bag with shoulder strap from Mesa to carry it and cords easily.

It's not the cheapest option but it has a wonderful tubelike warmth. I got mine at Long and McQuade in Toronto.

I also got a folding cart for long hauls when you have to park a block or more away which is a big help. Club Bass was out of stock so I got mine at Lee Valley Tools. About $120 Can.

19. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I think it may be the Roland Bass Cube 100. 37 pounds, 100 watts, takes an extension. Lots of amp models and effects for fooling around with.

20. My "lightweight" rig is a Epifani 502UL amp (16 Ibs) and two Epifani 1x12UL (30 Ibs)