Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best mp3 player out right now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 24, 2006.

1. thats my question. If money was no problem, whats the best one out there? I know there is lots of buzz on Ipods, but there is also of bad buzz on them too, as i hear that they break fairly easy!
    I don't really want a small one, as small things tend to get lost, so the ipod nano doesn't look that great to me...also i don't really need video support, so the video ipod isn't really necessary either...just something to play mp3s!

Thanks!

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't really like IPods.

While it may not be the best, the Sony VAIO Pocket is a decent chocie. It sounds great, adn 40 gigs is cheap to get on Ebay, as its now discontinued. The only gripeds with that are it freezing sometimes and it taking a little second to laod between screens.

Oh wait, you said best without money objections...I'd say possibly Iriver or Iaudio...

Creative's stuff is solid, but they lack firmware support...

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yikes! and people say iPods are expensive. :meh:

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My iPod is already more scratched than my phone is and I've had my phone for more than a year and my iPod for less than a month. They're too scratchable. Nothing even scratched it, just by leaving in my pocket or on a table. I suggest getting a case immeadiately after purchasing an iPod to anyone who just got one or who will get one soon.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I like the Creative players. I have a 20GB Zen and it works just fine, software is easy to use, sounds good, built like a mini-brick.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I've been liking what I'm seeing from Cowon too. Especially the A2 and X5. Great feature set and they've been getting good reviews.

brad cook

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I had a Zen 30 gb until the headphones randomly stopped working (I was very careful with it). After visiting a few forums I found this was a common issue that Creative is not dealing with at all. I would bet the new players are fine, but past action (or inaction, as the case may be) warrants mention anyway.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bought a case for mine a few days after i got it.

I suggest getting a Creative or an iPod. iPods are the easiest to use, but creatives have better deals sometimes.

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i bought one of those motorola rokr phones.. 100 tunes in my phone...its pretty sweet. i dont need no i pod....yet...

11. Mine is from Digital Mind Corporation http://www.digmind.com/

Makes me feel like I'm living in 1984 with that name.

I use the DMC Xclef 500 40 GB, but they have up to 100 GB. FM tuner, line in, line out, big display screen. reasonable price too, mac and PC compatible.

I use it to record band practices and play background music, and rock out:bassist: .

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

That phone made several "Worst Products of 2005" lists if I'm not mistaken.

brad cook

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't see why someone would buy an A2 when you can get a PSP for cheaper which accomplishes just about all the same tasks and has a better screen plus you can actually buy whole movies in UMD format now, making media viewing that much more convenient. Then again, the PSP cannot do video recording and does not have an internal 30 GB HD, but it's also much cheaper.

And the X5 is more expensive than a similarly spec'd iPod while still managing to be heavier, thicker, have a smaller lower resolution screen, roughly the same battery life, and a subpar interface. The only thing it has going for it is support for a wide range of formats, but unless you just so happen to have your entire collection formatted in .ogg or flac, that's pretty meaningless.

Maybe I'm missing something, but these cowon players seem to be markedly inferior to the iPod in almost every respect. :meh:

14. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    I love my iRiver H340, 40Gb, and its really good quality, its a bit thicker than ipods, but i dont care, if it was thin i would be more likely to break it, it also has an attachable battery pack which means you can use four AA batteries with it if the internal one dies, this makes it pretty chunky but, again, i dont care, its usually in a backpack on in a big jacket pocket

The H300 series also has video playback and stuff, so you can watch films and music videos, you can also use the line out as an extra headphone socket so that you can watch a film with someone else, it also has a neat little thing, you can use it as a host, so you can connect other mp3 players to it and share files between the two, it works with quite a few things, other mp3 players obviously, digital cameras, some mobile phones, and PSPs :)

They have just recently discontinued them tho, so im guessing they have a new one away for release :)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    ding ding ding. Different products that perform different functions. I'm not really interested in UMD discs anyway.

You can get the X5L that has 35 hours battery life, X5 has direct line in encoding, FM radio and it can save digital photos directly from digital cameras. I'm not saying it's an "iPod killer" or trying to go head to head or something. I have no vested interest in either. It just seems like another nice media player with some features that appeal to me.

brad cook

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No! the Mac features appeal to you!!! Your individual needs are meaningless. :p

Anyway, didn't they discontinue the "rokr" phone? I have a Motorola now, and if the "rokr" is anything like it I'm not surprised at all.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The cowon players put an emphasis on a variety of niche features, it comes at a higher price and is less accessible to a simple user. I wouldn't place them in the same market as the iPod(though some of their smaller flash players are more appealing). That said, they don't seem like the best players to get all those features either. Iriver has many of the same features for better prices. :meh:

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I like iriver too. It's the combinations that get people though.

19. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've got the older iHP120 iRiver, 20GB that I got a stupid deal on from Best Buy when they were being discontinued. In-line recording (WAV or MP3) FM radio, and plays just about every format. Iv'e had it almost 2 years now, and I never used any kind of cover for it, and it's not scratched up at all. You don't have to go through iTunes to load songs into it either. I like the iPods a lot, and am a Mac user from day 1; but the iPod offers me nothing I don't already have.

Oh, and the iRiver batteries can be replaced when they die...a friend of mine has done it with 2 units.