Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best online dealer of basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HostileApostle, Feb 23, 2002.

1. By online dealer I mean that actually allows you to purchase online. Buy the bass, and customize colors, etc.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    heck, if tou just ask, Basscentral.com and BassNW.com will hook you up with just about anything, Basscentral runs a bit higher taste than Bass NW, but Bass NW can hook you up w/ more variety in the price area.

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    When I bought my Modulus in 2000 I called every dealer in the US. Prices of what they had in stock or what they had available varied as much as $400. No dealer had what I wanted, so it came to a Special Order. Most dealers wanted full or close to full retail which put my bass at $1,800! However Guitar-Villa (in PA) gave me an awesome deal on the "base model" (one of the cheapest I found) and I had to pay full retail on the options. Also, all the dealers wanted full retail on the cases $150 which is inflated but I guess your stuck there. Good-Luck.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    You can customize a Carvin thru their website

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Overall, I like Gard's fantasyland, Bass Central.

Evan and Chad at Bass NW are great too, but I like BC better for one reason - responsiveness. If you send BC an email asking questions, Beaver, Grasshopper, or someone will answer your email quickly. Bass NW always tells you to call. Phoning is drag because the person you need to speak to may;

- be off that day,
    - get interrupted quite a bit,
    - have to take care of an in-store customer
    - have to look up the info you want and call back

One thing cool that Beaver at BC said is that they never made any customer keep a bass they weren't happy with. (to be fair, Bass NW may well have the same attitude). And BC impressed me another time when they had an Epifani cab that they could have easily represented as brand new. But it had been gigged once or twice, so they knocked a couple of hundred off of it.

Guitar-Villa is very knowledgeable about whatever they sell and service-oriented, too. But BC and Bass NW always beat GV's prices for me.

YMMV

6. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    After the way Basscentral has taken care of me and all of my needs, I will not buy anything major('cept strings) from anyone else. They probably don't even wanyt me telling you about a couple of them, so i won't. But trust me They will take good care of you.

E

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmmmmmmmmmm...............

(see signature! ;) )

...I'd add that BNW, GV, LABX, Bass Alone, and Bass Palace are all excellent shops with first rate crews. Oh, I almost forgot Steve "Dude" Barr & Adrian Garcia from here at TB!!!

8. On a related note can anyone name any UK or European online stores.
    I realise that most of the ones already posted would ship to Europe but then there's the extra shipping and taxes to deal with.

9. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just bought a bass rig at the Bass Palace and they were very easy to deal with.

10. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yay!

another 311 fan on TB!

11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    yea 311 kicks *** , I just ordered Enlarged to show detail 2, it should be here on tuesday. Im so excited!!!

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    1. Bass Central. Got the relationship selling thing down, and no doubt the quickest.
    2. Rik's Music. Limited product line, but smooth service and honest.
    3. Carvin. In 1995, the sales guys were real hand holders. Now less personable IMO. Took some major stuff back with no problems. Handled a warranty item quickly.

As a consumer, I will actually pay a little more to get good advice and professional treatment. I bought a bass in person at Bass Central and Gard read me pretty well and led me through a series of choices. Nice experience even if every one in the shop was on edge because of their recent move. What was even more impressive was the assistance and turnaround on some bass parts I ordered. Grasshopper went the extra mile to track down a Bartolini pickup for me when in the end I elected not to upgrade. That kind of stuff will get you a future sale. It is called good will.

13. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yea man..its really damn funny!

i dont like it as much as ETSD1, but it is funnier

did you get the DVD or VHS?

14. <---311 fan

15. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I bought stuff from BassAlone and BassNW, and in both cases, they were great to deal with. The deal with BassNW was a bit complex - bought a bass, they sent it to Muke Lull to be customised, Mike had to call in Rick Turner to get info and a part..etc.

I almost bought stuff from Bass Central and The Bass Palace. In both cases, we didn't agree on the price, but I found them both to be very responsive to my emails and professional and wouldn't hesitate to deal with either of them.

16. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've had very good dealings with Bass Northwest. Gabe is the guy to talk to there. I was pleased with the prices I got. I've also found that Evan has been real responsive on eamil quotes.

I've become a big fan of dealing with our man, Gard, at Bass Central. I hope to be able to spend some quality cash there in the future.

Bob, at Bass Palace seems to have some pretty nice prices and he's been real good about reply emails to my questions.

I had several bad experiences with a few of the other online retailers but I won't mention any names.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    For high-end stuff, it's hard to beat my pal John DiMaggio at Bass Alone in San Diego. Not only a straight shooter but a fine bassist and serious craftsman.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

20. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I'd be careful with Gguitars. They seem well-intentioned, but they sold me a Warwick Jack Bruce Sig , calling it a one-year old 2001 model in brand new condition with a leather gig bag( I kept copies of the ad from bass.com).

What I got was a 1990 with Rotosound black (ca. 1993)roundwound strings/fretboard wear, with paint chipping on the bridge adjustment holes, sent in a Peavey vinyl gig bag.

They did screw up shipping to Canada , but to be fair, he did cover half of the additional $400. that cost me.

What astonishes me is that they are a Warwick dealer - how could he not know the age of the bass. After all, "1990" is clearly printed on the truss rod cover of this bass. And the much-vaunted second-run of these basses were released just about the time he sent me the 90.

When I told him it was a 90,he said it was "hard to tell on these basses"