What is the best passive bass guitar you have played in your life?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Byron92, May 17, 2012.

1. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    Aybe this can help me go out and look for certain basses, should be fun hearing the stories and experiences!

2. Pbass with flats + tort guard.

bass4worship likes this.
  3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Pbass with rounds + gold guard.

bass4worship likes this.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I played a beat-up 62-63ish p-bass with the 1.75 nut width neck. I was shocked and have never forgotten its feel and sound. That was in 1969.

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^^ AGREE THE 1.75 NUT WIDTH ROCKS.

6. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    I guess I'm going P-Bass hunting this weekend hehe

7. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Excellent...I could not be happier with my mex fender P....If your on a budget the mexican made fenders are great..just make sure you play & inspect it first. There are a few lemons out there....

8. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    ^ on the 1.75" nut on a P-bass as well. A Precision just isn't the same without a wide 'n' fat neck.

9. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    well, i feel i have yet to experience greater but the only three i can think of off the top of my head were, a yamaha RBX-270?(the natural one). this could be laughable to some, but i love bright, grindy tone. i had barrowed someone's 270 and stack and i couldn't believe the tone i was getting from it..

i had also been wowed by a gibson thunderbird a few years back. this thing sounded more like a rickenbacker than the rickenbacker i had also tried out later that year.. enjoyed the bright, piano like tone.

and last was one of those recent fender 70's jazz reissue, the sunburst+black and block inlays... it actually sounded hot enough to cop a stingray/ATK/high end schecter growl. idk how i did it(and this is with a peavey combo) but i kid you not, it screamed for what it was.

10. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    My '83 '57 RI P-bass(rounds) and my 1959 P-bass(flats). Both have 1.75" nut width. These are THE keepers!

11. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Funny dude, you are going to get so many opinions where the price range will deviate from 1$ to 10000$ .......
    As for me, it must be a Geddy with a black pick-guard or a FG 4003 with white pick guard. But I think a yellow or black pick guard will boost the playability a lot.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I don't think it'll be meaningful.

A really good bass is an individual, unrepresentative piece where everything goes right.

13. passive warwicks are awesome, although its got almost too much bite at times. Picked up my swamp ash passive corvette 5 for...was it $480? so punchy, nice diversity between the pickup blend. But like I said, I almost wish for an active system so I could boost some of the lower frequencies to tone down the bite sometimes. Only sometimes. Biting basses be bitchin.

14. LuckyPants

LuckyPants

Mar 7, 2008
    Dublin
    My Rick 4003, hands down

Titania likes this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    '63 Hofner Beatle bass
    '64 Fender Jazz

16. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    In retrospect, A Fender CIJ P-bass with a Lindy Fralin PU. I'm still regretting I let that one go..

17. A '76 P bass. Looked an absolute dog. Absolutely battered, filthy, and stank of weed, with an unidentified heavy brass bridge. But it played and sounded incredible. It had allegedly been used on a Gary Moore album , though I do not know which album or who the bassist was. An incredible instrument.

18. P-Bass.

19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    By all accounts, passive Dingwalls are consistently excellent.

lfmn16 likes this.
  20. My 1973 Fender Precision - it's still all original-

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021