Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am looking for a good single space preamp. I will be using a stewart 2.1 and an Epifani 3-10 cab. I also have an R bass 5 a 75 Jazz and an upright bass that I will playing through it. Let me know.

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I play an ADA MB-1 Preamp. ADA is no longer around but you can usually find the Preamp used for around $200. I bought mine new about 10 years ago for $700.
    The ADA MB-1 has both Tube and Solid State preamp sections (with 5 voices for each) that can be blended. It has a compressor, crossover, chorus and a 5 band EQ with the middle 3 bands being parametric (frequency can be changed). It can store 256 user presets and can be controlled by a MIDI pedal. The initial presets have amp emulations for several major bass systems with settings for both active and passive basses.
    You might be able to find a used one on www.musicgoround.com or ebay.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Got a budget in mind?

4. I've been using a Alembic F1-X for the past 6 yrs. It is a single space, 12AX7 tube, 3 band EQ, DI and x-over. If your into a tube tone, it is about as tubey as it gets.
    http://alembic.com/prod/f1x.html

5. Demeter?

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If it were only that simple. There are a number of comparable pre's on the market. The best for you will depend on your budget, style, personal preferences, etc. Provide a little more info. and maybe someone can make a helpful recommendation. Or search the threads for preamp in the subject. Good luck.