What is the best preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am looking for a good single space preamp. I will be using a stewart 2.1 and an Epifani 3-10 cab. I also have an R bass 5 a 75 Jazz and an upright bass that I will playing through it. Let me know.

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I play an ADA MB-1 Preamp. ADA is no longer around but you can usually find the Preamp used for around $200. I bought mine new about 10 years ago for $700.
    The ADA MB-1 has both Tube and Solid State preamp sections (with 5 voices for each) that can be blended. It has a compressor, crossover, chorus and a 5 band EQ with the middle 3 bands being parametric (frequency can be changed). It can store 256 user presets and can be controlled by a MIDI pedal. The initial presets have amp emulations for several major bass systems with settings for both active and passive basses.
    You might be able to find a used one on www.musicgoround.com or ebay.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Got a budget in mind?
  4. I've been using a Alembic F1-X for the past 6 yrs. It is a single space, 12AX7 tube, 3 band EQ, DI and x-over. If your into a tube tone, it is about as tubey as it gets.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If it were only that simple. There are a number of comparable pre's on the market. The best for you will depend on your budget, style, personal preferences, etc. Provide a little more info. and maybe someone can make a helpful recommendation. Or search the threads for preamp in the subject. Good luck.