1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the best rack for an Ampeg SVT II Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassclef7, Oct 20, 2006.

1. bassclef7

bassclef7

Oct 20, 2006
    Hello. I am new to the site, so I'm not sure if this has been asked before.

What is the best rack for an Ampeg SVT II Pro?

I love the head, but it is very heavy and I need to move it often. Apparently, it is in between a 4 and 5 space rack. I like Anvil. I want the amp to look, feel and actually be tight in the rack. Any suggestions?

2. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Road Ready makes some quality cases.

3. bassclef7

bassclef7

Oct 20, 2006
    I'm looking for a recommended case with correct dimensions and spacers etc . . . Again, I would like it to not only function well, but looks nice. Has anyone had any experience with this?

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    no personal experience with this particular amp... but any 4 space rack you choose would be fine. ATA specs will provide more protection but may be more than you really need. This was what I found at one of the links on this page:
    http://www.anycase4you.com/site/1638567/product/SK1

4 spaces if you have no other gear. 6 if you have a rack tuner etc.

5. davidk_528

davidk_528 There goes the neighborhood...

Jul 20, 2006
    Seattle Area
    I like my Gator Rolling Rack cases very much. They have interchangable locking front and rear covers and roll on two wheels.

Your Ampeg is 7.5" high, which as you correctly pointed out is between 4 (7.0") and 5 (8.75") RU high. Even though the Ampeg vents through the rear, you might be wise to keep an empty space above it for cooling. I would at least be very careful about what kind of device I put directly above this unit. It may get pretty hot if you drive it hard (I don't know -- don't have any experience with Ampeg stuff), and if it does it could cause damage to any device above it, especially one with an IC (processor) on board.

All this to say that IMO cooling considerations trump having everything fit nice and neatly (read tightly) into my cases. I don't even use vent panels because even the most open ones are only about 63% open.

Good luck, and enjoy your amp.

6. NOT ALL 4-SPACE CASES ARE ACCEPTIBLE AS-IS!

I have an SVT II Pro and I have it in an SKB 4-space case which I learned after many gigs having my SVT crap out on me is NOT the greatest way to case this amp.

This is a bad choice of a case for the simple fact that the SVT II Pro is an ALL TUBE head that vents from the left side. So it draws air IN through the left side of the head and exhausts out the back. The SKB case has recessed handles that snug right up against the intake grill and block air-flow. This increases the heat tremendously and can result in your amp spontaneously losing power and volume, not to mention damaging it's precious guts!

I spent many gigs praying that my wonderful SVT II PRO would hold out for the entire gig before I figured out what the problem was.

MY SOLUTION was to thoroughly ventilate the left side of the SKB with an 1/8 drill bit. I drilled a lot of holes in the left side of the SKB right where the intake grill is on the head. I also have a really nice Lakewood 12" fan that I strap to the side of the case to push a constant stream of air through the holes when I am using the amp.

Here is a pictorial representation of what I am talking about for your viewing pleasure:
    [​IMG]

For this reason, I would NOT recommend an SKB 4-space rack case for your SVT II PRO. Maybe a 6-space would not directly cover the intake grill, but the 4-space does and requires this sort of modification if you want to be able to leave the amp IN the case while you play.

7. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    Road Ready makes great racks. I have the SVT4PRO head in a Road Ready rack, along with a DBX compressor, Korg tuner, 2 space drawer and a power conditioner, and I haven't had any problems. Except for moving it.

8. bassclef7

bassclef7

Oct 20, 2006
    Wow you guys are awesome! I've heard that if I take the rubber footings off the amp it will squeeze into any 4 space rack. But then there is the problem with venting a tube amp. Excellent point.

I'm very concerned about my amp crapping out. But I am reluctant to compromise the integrity of the rack by drilling holes in it, especially an SKB rack where I'm not sure about the quality in the first place.

Has anyone heard any good things (or have experience with) quality racks designed with ventilation? Does Road Ready make ventilated racks? Again, I'm really impressed with Anvil racks if anyone knows any thing about those.

9. davidk_528

davidk_528 There goes the neighborhood...

Jul 20, 2006
    Seattle Area
    Contact Lee Burkhart (Case Designer) at Anvil Cases

800-359-2684 x. 132, and ask him about vented cases. He'll help you out.

10. My SVT-IIs case has sod all in the way of room for the side vents, never been a problem.

Make sure you get a case that can handle the weight.

Im either getting a Road Ready shockmount 4U, Mesa SUS-4 or a custom made 4U case. Any of them will do great!

SKBs etc are rated to hold that weight, but, i personally dont trust them that much.

Also you dont really want anything else in there, it is bulky and heavy enough as is, but the main problem is the amount of heat that comes off these things is enough to damage some other equipment.

11. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Becareful about the Road Ready cases sold at Guitar Center. The ones they mostly carry are not designed for heavy amps and will not handle the weight. Guitar center sold me one for me SVT-2pro that was only designed for FX racks and I thought the rack was going to just break apart everytime I lifted it.

Also, dont buy a bigger rack then you need just for the SVT2 thinking you'll mount other stuff in there, it will jsut make it more of a pain to move.

Good luck man, I traded my SVT2pro for a CL becasue I couldnt handle moving it on my own. Wish I still had it but it just wasnt practical.

12. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I kept an SVT-II (non pro) in a regular ol' grundorf carpeted 6 space rack for years... there was an open space above it and I never had any problems with heat. Sorry if I've given poor advice, it never even occured to me that a 4sp would cause that problem. It seems plausible though.

13. Well make sure you dont get one of the cheaper road ready FX racks, they have specific amp racks (shockmount and non shockmount). Also, i thought the FX racks were thinner so the 2-Pro would have been sticking out the back?

Leaving a space would be a must i think. And anything that can handle the SVT-II (non-pro/"ampegus-awesomensee" :smug: ) can handle the SVT-2Pro as the SVT-IIs are 15lbs heavier :)

14. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    if you go with road ready, the model you want is the
    RR6UAD. the way to interpret this code is as follows:
    RR=road ready
    6U=6 spaces
    AD=amplifier deep.

if you see something that's got an "E" where the "A" is, that signifies that it's for effects and is NOT deep enough for most heads/amps. Hope this helps. Most guitar centers don't carry the Deep road ready cases in anything less than 8 spaces. however, there's few kicking around some stores and it can be ordered from roady ready.

hope this helps.

15. One thing i just remembered, the standard (non shock) road ready 4U case doesnt have side handles, so it would be a pain to move!

16. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Thats what I had, I didnt know any better at the time of purchase and Guitar Center wrongly assured me it was meant for amps and would be fine for my SVT-2pro. The smaller size actually worked out well though. The 2pro just barely fit without sticking out and a larger rack would of have been impossibile to move around. Besides being really hard for me to carry I still had to take one of the lids off just to fit it in my Jeep with my 8x10 unless I stood my amp on its side. The SVT-Classic is way easier to carry and fits in my car without taking up nearly as much space. Of course if I had it in a road case it would be worse.

17. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    So use epoxy to attach a reinforcement plate to the side of the case, and drill holes through it and the case. Or use rivets to attach it. Or both!

18. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/product/shocks/art/1SKB-R904U20.jpg

http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/product/shocks/shock2-r20.html

Check that out for a strong rack unit and something that has plenty of sway space on the sides. It's pricey, but will handle the weight, abuse, and allow the 2 PRO to breathe

TZER - I have been using your story about rackmounting the 2PRO to many people in the talkbass community. I also used your experience when I bought my 2 PRO - I keep it in the open! Let it breathe! I remember when you first posted it on the AMPEG message Forum.

Side Point - Why did Ampeg design the 2 PRO with a ventillation system that requires air from the side when so many racks have little to no sway space? The 2 PRO puts out tons of heat - didn't Engineers at Ampeg design the amp? I am not an Engineer, but a hot amp in a poorly ventillated rack case will die any day. I understand Ampeg probably wanted to be bold and different, that's fine. But don't be stupid about it! Yes, portability is great, but when the amp is overheating all the time - what use is that?

When Ampeg had their own rack units - the units featured vent holes on the side. So buy an Ampeg amp and buy their rack and your are fine. But with the higher cost of most Ampeg Heads, why did they not come new with 3 or 4 space rack unit? Maybe then I could justify buying the 3 PRO - $900new for a 450 watt amp. Let's not forget, the racks are not sold by Ampeg any more and the only place you can find them is on EBAY.

I apologize for the rant bassclef7, I just wanted voice my frustration over this issue. It just bothers me that Engineers with (most likely) college degrees designed the 2 PRO to only work in a specific type of rack. Some GK amps have a vent on the top of the amp - awesome idea - and it works in ANY rack as long as you have space at the top.

19. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I've always liked it better without protection anyway! :eek: