1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best rig for b string playing jazz, commercial and shows/

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raveniskcrow, Oct 7, 2013.

1. I need some advice (free). I have a GK 800 RB, nightbass processor that I used with a SWR Golaith Senior cab. But unless I am going to a gig where I can leave the rig. I usually take my mb 112 with an extra MB cabinet. 150 watts seem to work in most cases i.e., rehearsals, small gigs. There were times when I would use the out to a board. My main bass is a trbjp and there is the rub. These the micro bass 112 plays nice clear solo tones but unless I used my Gk 800 rig I get not love on the be string. Even with the GK I know I can do better. I should mention that I have been using these tools for many years. I need to up date my sound. At 60 I am not carrying 135 lbs of amp. I really need a light rig (weight wise) with the ability to drop bombs on my B string in those choice places. I am thinking Aguilar rig or maybe the new GK stuff. Any suggestions?
    I live in the musicians grave yard (LV) so there are no aguilar dealers here. If you are a six string player playing jazz, smooth jazz pop etc. what are you using and why. I didn't include rock because by its nature requires a larger head and cab.

2. Define drop bombs.

I use the PA gear. It doesn't do low fundamentals but it amps the 60hz 2nd harmonic of low B just fine. From what you posted, that is all you seek. Extremely few bass cabs go down to 30hz with any useful loudness.

3. For light and low and small you probably want a fearful and a powerful micro.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1
    Gotta say yeah.

Besides a fEARful 12/6, an AudioKinesis Thunderchild 112 or one of Alex Claber's new Barefaced cabinets are possible candidates.
    A used GK MB800 head is tons of power, at 4 lbs. :bassist:

5. Thank for the suggestions, I ended up with a tone hammer 500 and sl112 cab. Great sound. I was really surprised when I used the tone hammer with the mb150 ext cab. You can't get much lighter than that. At bassplayer live, I got to hear the GK stuff and I will tell you, it was impressive, punchy but brittle. For rock there some great combinations giving 1000 watts with small foot print. But in the end, the tone is what got me. Happy gigging