1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the best small amp for around $700 from Musicians Friend ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bobsax, Jun 14, 2012.

1. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I got an email that says I'll get $150 off of $700 or more and $100 off $500 or more.
    As far as amps all I have is a Kustom KBA30.
    My bass is a Shen with stock strings and a Realist pickup.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass-amplifiers?_requestid=511609

*I know , use search but this a specific question that I doubt search will show results to.

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Are you talking "amp" only or "combo" amp. As far as combo's are concerned I concur with lowfreqgeek.

3. I have been very pleased with my line 6 ld400 pro combo. Sells for around $599.

4. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    When you say combo do you mean an amp like the Genz Benz Shuttle that Lowfreqgeek linked that has a separate head?
    As a piano and sax player I see a lot of GK's played by really good bass players. What do you call the GK?
    ---thanks guys for the recommendations

btw
    it looks like Musicians Friend isn't carrying the Line6 bass amp.

5. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Combo, I would go for the GK mb210. 33lbs 350/500 wts. 2-10" speakers. With enough power for most gigs, can use an ext can if you need more volume. Great GK tone. I love mine.

6. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I would call the GB Shuttle a combo. It's cool because you can add a cab to it. I like the GK stuff, but not the 2x10 combo. It farts too much for me. Just my opinion. If you get a GK combo, look at the 2x12 combo or get the 4x10 + rb400 head.

Good luck.

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    The OP is looking for something for *UPRIGHT* bass, not electric. I've used the Shuttle 3.0-10T on several occasions with my Shen, as well as my electrics. It does a nice job with the upright. The GK I linked is a classic amp for upright bass. I've never played mine through one, but I have played my bass through my son's GK Backline 10 and it sounds pretty darn good. It kinda has that "GK" tone I associate with certain upright players who play through the GK rigs.

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    MB150 has been and continues to be a great upright combo amp. GB shuttle will work as well.

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The GK stuff is good in your price range, if you like the sound. The Markbass Mini CMD 121P 1x12 Bass Combo Amp is worth checking out, too.

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1 Personally, I'd go with the Genz Benz if you can afford it. I've played both the GK and the GB. While I definitely like the MBS better than the MBE. I really prefer the EQ and cabinet voicing of the Shuttle 3.0 10T for Double Bass. From what I can discern from Ed Friedland's new You Tube demos the Shuttle 6.2, with it's new cabinets will be a terrific DB EB amp.

11. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    +1 on the Genz Benz. I have a Series 2 210 w/ a Shuttle 9.0 and it's a thing of beauty. Always get compliments on the tone.

12. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Your right Ric
    The upright sounds great in Friedland's vid.

I was leaning towards the GK because of it's reputation but now unless somebody says don't do it I think I'll go with the GB.

13. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have the shuttle 3.0 8T. What I think is a great advantage is that in the future you could use the head with any other cab you want. So if my 1x8 can't cut it (which has not been the case to date), then no problem.

14. Doug R

Doug R

Jan 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA USA
    Another vote for the Genx Benz Shuttle 3.0, with or without the matching 8" or 10" speaker. I'm loving mine with upright bass, but it has plenty of power for other uses too.

I got the Shuttle 3.0 and a GK 210-N lightweight speaker cab (30 lbs) for $650. (GB 3.0 for $349, GK 210N for $299) You get more speaker power than with a single, and can still drive an additional cabinet for larger venues when needed. I love how my bass speakers are lighter than my guitar player's amp!

Another benefit for URB: You can get some separation between your speaker cab and your big bass. Avoid combos. Set-up with the amp nearby, and set the speakers farther away, and it REALLY helps avoid acoustic feedback. When your bass speakers are right behind you, your bass can start howling when you turn-up.

That was never an issue with bass guitar, but a big deal with upright. I haven't had nearly as much howling bass feedback at bigger gigs since I switched from my old bass guitar combo amp to this combination with my upright.

15. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Doug
    I'm curious about the connections between the amp and cab.
    In the only pic I could find it looks like there is a hole on top of the cab with a cable that connects to the amp.
    When I look at the cab ( 10 T) separately I don't see the hole or the mounting bracket.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/genz-benz-shuttle-1x10-bass-speaker-cabinet
    They don't show the back.
    I'm wondering what kind of cable do you use to separate the cab and amp and where do you put the amp?

Attached Files:

16. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    That picture tells the tale for the combo. The separate 10T cab has a speakon jack like the one in the pic underneath the 1/4" connector the hardwired combo cab goes into. If you use the amp by itself with provided cabs it's a good idea to carry two speaker cables, one speakon to speakon and one speakon to 1/4" (or 1/4" to 1/4") as not every cab you get has a speakon jack.

I've used both the Shuttle 3.0-10T and the GK MB150. Musically I like both a lot but for versatility the Shuttle wins hands down.

17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
  18. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks Smogg but I just ordered the GB Shuttle 3.0 with the 10cab.
    It should show up next week and I'll use it on my gig that Saturday.
    Thanks everybody for the help:)

19. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    What??? This threads done already? I just wanted to say +1 for Genz Benz 3.0 Shuttle w/8t or 10t cab - get one of each