What is the best software based drum machine?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have enjoyed using Hammerhead as it's really easy. But I have come to the limits of it's ability and so... I would like to know what's good?
  2. My favourite is Fruity Loops, easy to use and loads of features.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. And for Pro Tools LE Digi001 on a Mac?
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. I also vote for Fruity Loops....really easy to use.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have used Hammerhead and FruityLoops also! Hammerhead is a great program espescially if you use high quality samples. Get rid of the generic stuff that comes with it. Their company also has a program called Taureg. A little more intensive than Hammerhead but nice.
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Aside from making them yourself, where can you get high-quality samples?
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

There are many loops cd's with 'one shot' samples of drums and instruments. Or you could record real drum kit hits and use those.
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I bought fruity loops. Hopfully it will help. It's pretty complex though!
  11. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    A friend of mine did the latter but I don't have a quality drum kit or mics. Maybe I'll get a copy of his samples...
  12. Try to find copies of Future Music magazine or even better Computer Music. They're both UK based magazines but they VERY often have drum samples on the cover CD's. You can get CM delivered via subscription in the US (I did for a while).

Not only the samples, but they have a range of VSTi synth instruments including a drum synth SR-202 for FREE (for no money and at no cost at all because it's for GILLAN FANS ONLY! sorry...). They often get big names developers to come up with free plugins and cool demo versions. Really worth checking out. http://www.computermusic.co.uk/main.asp

I also heartily recommend Fruity Loops. Don't get phased by the complexity of some of the more in depth bits. They're cool, but the basic pattern sequencer for drum loops is the shiznit. Free upgrades for life is also a fairly clever bit of customer focus. :D Now if only we could get the rest of the world to follow suit... Ashdown, Cakewalk, Conklin....

EDIT: CM also have the DS-404 sampler, CM-101 dual oscillator analogue synth and a complete sequencer. It's all for free (no, don't go there) at http://www.computermusic.co.uk/about/aboutvst.asp
  13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  14. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I like Acid. Oh, and the software is pretty good, too. :D
  15. Topher

Dec 22, 2007
    How about hydrogen drum machine, it has the ability to import different drum sets and will run on windows, mac, and linux. Ubuntu Studio is where i actually found it, seems to work ok so far for me.

16. Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I currently use orDrumbox... it's free and multiplatform. It's not the best, but can be useful to use until you get the real deal. (Plus, it's insanely easy to use)

17. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    :cough: almost 5 year old thread :cough:
  18. I use strike via midi with keyboard. I am switching to Mac and it's compatible. I am just working out the bugs now. You switch the pattern live (as long as you are using grid mode) and everything keep in time. Not bad for recording a live section from a keybard.
  19. Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    +1! Especially as a vst instrument. A good pad, like akai mpd24 or 32 and battery3 is instant bliss.
  20. My buddy uses REASON which is AWESOME!! Not the program itself, I've never used it, but the inspiration for it's name.