What is the best Stevie Wonder album ever?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The big 3 Stevie Wonder albums are 'Songs in the Key of Life', 'Talking Book' and 'Innervisions'.

I think 'Talking Book' is the best, but it's a matter of taste, I haven't really listened to 'Songs in the Key of Life' that closely.
  2. Songs in the key of life!

But seriously, there is no "best."
    That is my favorite, though...
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Practically anything from the '70s is great, except for Secret Life of Plants, which nonetheless has a few amazing things on it.

I like Talking Book and Innervisions the best, followed by Songs in the Key of Life. But Music of My Mind, which he put out just before Talking Book, is also excellent, as is Fulfillingness' First Finale (never have been sure exactly what that means).

I don't think he's ever again made a record as brilliant as his best '70s work, but on everything he's done there's at least one gem. Hotter Than July is a pretty good album, and In Square Circle, the hit aside (Part-Time Lover), has some underrated songs IMO. The Jungle Fever soundtrack has some good stuff too, though seemingly it got almost no play. Even Conversation peace, which overall is kinda forced IMO, has a couple good things. The guy's got one of the great American singing voices; I don't think he's capable of making a a completely useless record.

But my best recommendation would be to pick up Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness, and Songs in the Key of Life. Then load them in your CD changer, in that order, and listen to them all the way through. IMO that's one of the best chunks of work ever done by an American pop musician. Or any pop musician, for that matter.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Stevie has a new album out this year - supposedly in the vein of his '70s work. I can't remember the title right now - will try to dig out some information for you later.
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I can't just pick one. They should be taken as a whole, to make any ssense.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yay Stevie! he's one of my all-time favorites. I can never *not* listen to him.

I'd have to say though, his 4-disc anthology "at the close of the century" is probably his best, because it has all the classics, all the hits, and more. And come on. 4-discs of Stevie!

I also really like talking book.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    IMHO, Songs In The Key Of Life is one of the best records ever made by anybody :cool:
  8. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I second that!
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%!
    Talking Book was the 1st one I picked up; I was 14-15 & was watching In Concert & Stevie & band opened up & proceeded to blow me away with "Superstition". This guy is Funky & Rocked!
    Then it was either Innervisons or FFF...whichever one had "Creepin'"(FFF?).
    Then Songs....finally picked up Music Of My Mind last(always loved "Superwoman").
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    True dat.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Innervisions, Songs in the Key of Life, Talking Book, FFF.
  12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
  13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    put it on, let it go.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Songs In The Key of Life
    Musiquarium (Has everything on it)

I never get tired of Stevie's stuff. Still warm up with it all the time.
  16. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  17. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree with Against Will's top 3 as listed in the second post, and I favor Songs in the Key of Life a bit more than the others. All the cover band were playing at least 3 or 4 songs off of the CD when it was first released back in the 1970s.

I also liked a 1980s tune that Stevie did called "Do I Do". It had a cool bass solo, but I've forgotten what album it was on. I recall the rest of that album as being somewhat mediocre compared to his realier work.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Original Musicquarium.
    IIRC, it was one of four new songs(1 new song per side?) on an otherwise "Best Of" double album. Then again, maybe it was but 2 new songs; "Ribbon In The Sky" being the other one.
    Anyhow, I agree..."Do I Do" chugs along nicely.
    Cool distorted tone on Watts' 'solo', too!
  19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There were four new songs IIRC. (I'm going from memory, as I'm away from home.) I know one of the other two was "That Girl" (great song!), and I'm pretty sure the fourth was "Front Line."