Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best vocal mike

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave44, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I'm looking for the best vocal mike I can buy for under $200.oo bones......Shure SM58?, 57 any other mikes that are better. I need to advise a friends wife so she can buy him a mike for Christmas.

2. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    ive heard shure 58s are better for vocals and the 57s for instruments...i dunno

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Both are excellent mics. I personally prefer the 57 because I can and have used it on vocals, snare, kick, overhead, shaker, guitar cab, bass cab, classical guitar and harmonium.

If this guy is a home recording type go for the 57. If he's a vocalist then go for the 58.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rode nt-3

5. ram936

ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    Shure 57 & 58 are great mics for the price. I bought a 57 so I can mic my cab. I would suggest a 58 for vocals, although a 57 can handle vocals as well. I bought my 57 for about $80, not incl. cord, from my local music store. They matched a Guitar Center's sale price on the same mic. You can't go wrong either way.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you can find one used, an Audio Technica 4033 would be the best vocal mic for recording. You should be able to find one used for that price point. For live work, the Shure SM58 is the obvious choice.

7. If you have 200 bucks you can by a 57 AND a 58.

8. you can't go wrong with a Shure.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SM-58's are the industry standard. We own half a dozen of them, but lately we've switched over to condenser mics, which usually have a frequency response of 20hz - 20khz or so. Our choice is the Shure Beta 87C (available for $219 on the internet) and a Neumann KMS 105 (not in you price range). These give a crisper sound to vocals, but you have to be careful about feedback. We also have used the Rode NT-3, which is sizzly and hot. It needs its foam pop filter cover to cut back some of the highs. One cool thing about the NT-3 is that it can be powered either with phantom or an internal 9V battery. Also, with most of the condenser mics you have to be careful to place them off axis.

While SM-58's will do you up just fine, you can get Beta 58's for $130. These are dynamic mics (no phantom power required) with a wider frequency response than the SM-58. I think they're well worth the extra 30 or 40 bucks.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The Shure SM-58 is the standard, and I would have sworn by it - until my drummer walked in with a Sennheiser e835. Great mic!

11. you guys are NUTS!! $200 for a mic?!!:oops: :eek:

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A high quality, tube vocal recording mic can cost 10 times that much.

13. holy crap! thats insane! i cashed out £30 for Shure promodel or something, and even then I could barely afford it!!!

14. well, if you'll pay 1000 bucks for a guitar, 3000 for an amp, why not 200 for mic?

15. I've used Neumanns that were over $10000 a piece!