Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best way and method to ship a bass to someone??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkster, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi guy's I have a couple of quik questions. Im selling my sea foam grn 1986 ESP MK 1V and Im thinking of doing the E-bay thing. I have bought plenty of stuff over E-Bay but I have not sold a bass over the net yet. What is the best way to ship out the thing if it sells. Do I use UPS, Fed EX and how do I pack it up. Any info you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanx again...
    Funkster

2. Hey Funkster..
    The basses I've sold, I've usually shipped UPS. Go to Guitar Center or another music store and ask them for an empty, bass-case sized box.. they're happy to give them away. Make sure the bass is packed securely in its case, and the case fits snugly in the box. If there's any wiggle room, stuff newspaper down the sides, or packing material. That's about all the tips I can give. I know there are horror stories about UPS but I've shipped and received several basses through them without incident.

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I had the same questions recently when I sold my Dean Edge 5 on eBay. My problem was that I sold it without a case. Fortunately, I'd saved the Dean cardboard box in which it had shipped to the dealer. I securely packed it up in that, and then had one of these local shipping places pack that box in a bigger one. Cost me about $25 to ship, and it must have been okay because I didn't hear anything from the buyer. This place ships UPS. Dave has a great idea, and who knows, you might get lucky and they'll have an ESP box lying around. I recently bought a bass from Musicians Friend. It shipped in a hardshell case which was simply placed in a large cardboard box filled with plastic peanuts. The damn thing was in tune when I pulled it out. UPS also. Obviously, the key is to ship it as safely and cheaply as possible unless the buyer wants to do it differently. It's his/her money. Make sure you stipulate that the buyer pays shipping, standard eBay practice. Also, I'd advise against listing a flat shipping fee until you've done this at least once. I made that mistake, and of course the guy lived in California, so I ended up eating some of the shipping costs. Oh well, live and learn. Good luck. Sorry if I told you stuff you already knew.

Dave

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanx Dave! I really appreciate the help I, going to go to GC after work today for a box and I'll list the item tonight. I have heard a couple of horror stories about broken necks and thats whats been holding me up , but that is what insurance is for I guess. Thanx again and as always your a great help!
    Funkster

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanx Dave! (Jazzbassman) good point about E-Bay and the shipping price I will make sure the buyer is going to pay for shipping. Thanx for the info you made me feel a whole lot better about this..... Funkster (Henry)

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I shipped a Warwick from Tampa to Los Angeles via UPS Ground for $17.00. I wrapped the guitar with bubble wrap that I had laying around at work and stuffed the guitar into the gig bag. Then I went to our local Mars Music Store and got a Fender box out of the dumpster. Perfect fit. Put a little extra paper in sent it out.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pack it well but don't completely seal it up because UPS will probably want to see it. Don't forget to insure it for replacement value. Taking a picture of it probably wouldn't hurt.

8. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Ive shipped and received at least 100 basses and guitars over the years.Most of the advice you got is right on the money.If you can get the buyer to pay for a pro-pack do it!Be aware that these places(i.e.Mailboxes etc.)not only charge you to pack,but they inflate the UPS price!You can have them pack,take it home,and then have UPS pick it up at your house for$3.extra.If you intend to send it by air,I would suggest detuning it a little(low air pressure on a wood neck with tension}.I like to wrap them in bubble wrap, then put it in the case,then(if theres room in the box)wrap the case in bubble wrap,ALL SIDES,and put it in the box.If there is extra space,fill it with foam peanuts or styrofoam chunks.NEVER USE NEWSPAPER!!Newspaper has no elasticity,in other words,once it is squashed it doesnt bounce back to shape.And if the box gets squashed a second time,it has only the flattened ineffective newspaper to cushion the blow.As far as insurance goes,the only one who can collect is the recipient,not the sender.Although you wont collect,I always urge the buyer to over insure by a couple hundred bucks.Its cheap enough,and if they have to collect on it,theyll make some money,taking the "sting" out of a bad situation,and youll be a hero,whose much less likely to get hassled by the recipient."You packed it-its your fault""you sold it,you should give me the difference between the insurance and the purchase price""You didnt deliver what I was promised,either give me my money back or fix it!"etc.etc.

9. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    do any of you have any experience in international shipping? I saw this bass which is in US and i live in finland.. I've heard that the shipping would cost something like 200$. I was wondering if that's it, I mean, do i have to pay some extra fees (custom?) or something?

Thanks.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Make sure that you loosen the strings before you pack up the bass. You must elininate any tension on the neck/headstock or the headstock could easily break off in transit.
    Make sure that the neck is well supported with bubble wrap. Do you know what a broken headstock does to the value of a instrument. I'm sure that you can imagine, pro headstock repair or not, it bites.
    Cheers

11. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Siff:
    Hey Funkster..
    The basses I've sold, I've usually shipped UPS. Go to Guitar Center or another music store and ask them for an empty, bass-case sized box.. they're happy to give them away. Make sure the bass is packed securely in its case, and the case fits snugly in the box. If there's any wiggle room, stuff newspaper down the sides, or packing material. That's about all the tips I can give. I know there are horror stories about UPS but I've shipped and received several basses through them without incident.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with everything Dave said. I've had no problems. The only thing I would add is to wrap the bass in plastic bubble "paper" first, then add styrofoam "popcorn" and newspaper, etc. to further insulate and stabalize.

12. fabriclive

fabriclive

Jan 4, 2008
    I also am wondering the best way to ship a bass, the thing is that I don't have the original box the bass came in, so I just want to know what people think the best way to take care of that is.

13. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Ok, I know this is old but I'd rather resurrect an old thread than get yelled at for not searching. Does anyone know if UPS/FEDEX have bass sized boxes? I'm selling my GSR200 and I don't have the original box as I bought it used a while back. There is no Guitar Center near me and the two guitar stores in town aren't exactly places I would walk in and go "Hey can I have a box?" as they'd be liable to tell me to buy something. So back to my original question- bass sized boxes, do they exist?

14. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    SH - I'm pretty sure many UPS stores will either have one, know where to get one, or can make one from what they have.

But why not ask your local guitar stores? If they pressure you to buy something, point out that you're just helping them get rid of some garbage. Failing that, buy a set of strings (after they give you the box...).

15. You can either ask your local guitar store for a box, or you can take the neck off to ship in a much smaller box. I shipped a P bass, neck off for $25 for $800 worth of insurance via USPS. FedEX and UPS might be cheaper.

16. Hey guys, I'm movin to Texas from California here in a couple days, and was wondering about the best way to get my destroyer (explorer shaped) over there too.

The large body shape has definitely made it hard to find a case (I actually don't have one at all) and the airline won't let me bring it as a carry-on, and I'm not crazy about the idea of checking it, just seems sketchy.

So I was wondering if anyone had any more stories or tips for getting a bass from point a to point b, I'm guessing I'll probably have to ship it, but I've never actually shipped anything before, so I'm kinda sketchy on that too...

Would you guys consider it a bad idea to let them pack it for me? And who would you suggest I go through?

Thank for the help
    S/M

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Actually it is best to ship basses in tune. That is the way that ALL manufactuers ship their basses.

18. why is that?:help:

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bass necks are designed to be under tension from the strings- the neck warp if it's left without tension for a long period of time. If you were to take off the strings for shipping, you'd need to compensate for it by really adjusting the truss rod.

20. anonymous073020132

anonymous073020132 Guest

Dec 15, 2007
    USA
    Every bass I've sold on ebay & talkbass has been shipped with the US Post Office. Fast, reliable & a heck lot cheaper than fedex or ups. Just shipped my MMSR4 to a talkbasser in Europe through USPS & he got it just great. Check my feedback.