1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best way to get a 12 string bass sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arnie, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    I am thinking maybe an octave pedal and a chorus? Trying to achieve the Tom Peterson sound (Cheap trick)..

Thanks

2. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Might I recommend getting a 12-string bass? I got a Dean Rhapsody in the last year that wasn't too expensive and it's a ton of fun to play.

3. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Hire Tom Petersson.

But seriously, only a twelve will make that sound. Preferably through a bass amp(boom) and a guitar amp(grind.) Pedals will just make it sound small. :crying:

Been there, bought a twelve.:D

4. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    The Line 6 Variax Bass actually does a fair 12 string tone. But you'll probably pay as much for ond as just buying a Tom Peterson Signature Waterstone. He also runs his Bass through several lower watt guitar amps to get his sound. Not a bass rig.
    Erin

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You will never cop the sound of a twelve on a 4 banger... you can get close on a 8...

If i wanted to get a 12 string bass sound I would probably call my nearest Hamer dealer... :D

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You need man octave up pedal.

I have an eight string which gets close with some chorusing.