1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the best way to run 2 amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbanger, Apr 8, 2009.

1. bassbanger

bassbanger

Mar 4, 2008
    Any one have any suggestions?

I know you can get an ABY switch and run to amps that way but is there any other way? What is the best way to run 2 amps if you don't use a switch? What is the best switch to buy if so?

Thanks

2. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    radial switchbone... love it.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    ABY box is probably the best way to go, otherwise you can use the pre-amp out on one head and go into the other. You would combine the sound of one head's pre-amp with the other head pre-amp can be helpful, but not always.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm
    Good one to go for.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    master / slave setup
    plug into one amp use FX loop send into amp two FX return

5. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Psychic link? LOL!

6. ^^^ This.

My Sunn Concert Bass and Concert Slave were made to be hooked up like this, the CB has a pre-amp output that is run to the Slave, that way the tone is all controlled by the CB since the slave is simply a power amp.

In modern amps, you'd use the FX send from amp one, into the FX return of the second amp, like Redleg said. You can also run the FX send to the normal input of the second amp, but it can be hit or miss as far as sounding good, in my experience.

7. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    afro.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Which amps do you have?

9. You could buy a cheaper stereo pedal and leave it bybassed.

10. IMO. best way will be an aby switch! i bet you'll end up switching between amps if you got one...

If you do, make sure it has a ground lift on it...

11. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco

by hooking two amps up this way, will you get the volume/wattage from both heads AND tone? or just more tonal control?

12. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Tone only, you will not add wattage to the amp heads like this. You can't add wattage from one bass head to another - very bad!

13. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    you can if your head has a slave out/in

14. Would 1 of them "Y" cables work? Whatever the last thing is (bass or a pedal or whatever...) into 2 amps? Or would the signal be to weak?!

15. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Bassically this is what I had to do to run 2 4ohm cabs (randall roadwarrior 2x15 and a randall roadwarrior 4x10) with a hartke 3500 (only good to 4ohm). My guitar player at the time had an old fender bass head. So I ran a master / slave setup and each amp was responsible for one cab, but the hartke was the only thing coloring my tone. As for adding wattage, I guess I did, in a round about way. There were 2 amps running 2 cabs instead of one amp.

16. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I use my sansamp BDDI- it splits the signal threeways- one to each amp, and one to the board. Also, you could get a Boss DD-6 delay or any stereo effect pedal- it doesn't have to be an ABY pedal solely.

17. Get a Rickenbacker and run each pickup into a separate amp.

....well.... he did ask for "best".