Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the best way to run bass equipment for a gig??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by krazyslow, Nov 10, 2005.

1. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    I have tried using a di and I get clicking. I tried using a mic one time and that seemed to work well, but it was hard to hear on stage as my amp was running at a low volume. I'm not sloppy, so I was wondering if maybe I just didn't have something set up right with the di box??? My amp has a di to but I think it's crap. I did notice my p-bass sounded much better through the di than my jazz bass that has active electronics? I was also thinking my bass amp alone would be loud enough without running it through the house pa at all. I have a 4x10 and 1x18 cab??
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    :confused: When you say the DI in back of your amp is Crap...does it not work at all or is it noisy or what?

I'm not that familure with the Carvin Gear but I know they are loaded with features...is there another output you can use to send to the board? With my Eden Nemesis, I have a Balanced Output (which is what I use) however I can also use the Tuner Send, Effect Loop Send or the headphone jack to send my signal to the board :cool: I would refer to the Carvin Manual before going on my word that it can be done with your amp.

You are better off trying to keep the stage volume to a minimum and let the PA do the work...as long as you are cool with who is running the sound system and know they will actually put you in the mix.

As far as using your rig instead of DI..with your speaker configuration you ought to be able to shake the pictures off the walls in any medium to large club. I don't think anybody will have a problem hearing you. The drawback will be that you will find everybody else on stage with you turning up to hear themselves over you.

Good Luck! :D

3. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    My amp has a balanced xlr output, but it is pretty hot and produces some noise. I haven't tried to use any of the other outputs.
    Last time we played at this particular club, they had a new guy running the sound board and he turned me down after we started playing. I spoke with the club owner and this guy isn't going to get to play with the sound after we get it set up this time, so hopefully it won't be a problem.
    I don't have my amp here, but I know it doesn't have a tuner or headphone out. It does have an effects loop send.
    I donno, I thought about having botht the guitars and myself going unplugged from the house pa. That leaves mr. soundman the vocals and drums. Of course as you said, this will make it tough to hear on stage??
    Maybe I just need a new amp?

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Does the DI you're using have an input pad? That should bring the active bass back to where you were with the passive one. You could've been overloading the DI itself. It's not uncommon to need to back the treble way off at the board as well.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest maybe it's not the DI. Do you play so aggressively that you bang the strings into the neck and pickup? If so, I would work on toning that down before I blame the DI.

Also, are you turning up your active controls all the way? That's probably not such a hot idea, either. EQ always works best as reductive rather than additive. Most people leave their controls flat then slightly boost them if they need something extra. If you're goosing them all the way up, then it could also be the source of unwanted clicks. I'm thinking you do because of how you said your P gets a better sound in the DI than the Jazz.

6. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    I checked out the back of my amp and it did have a lot of other outputs that i just never used before (ie: line out, headphone and send).
    The send seemed to work the best, so I used it at the gig Saturday and both basses sounded great.

Does the DI you're using have an input pad? That should bring the active bass back to where you were with the passive one. You could've been overloading the DI itself. It's not uncommon to need to back the treble way off at the board as well.​
    The DI had a ground switch, and that was it, so I guess no?? I haven't had a lot of experience with them to be honest.

Thanks for all the help guys.

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Glad to help...Jim