1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the big deal about SX???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by splitcoilsenior, Apr 26, 2009.

1. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I've been seeing all these things about SX basses, I found some on a site, there really cheap basses, the quality does'nt look so great, so what is so great about them?

Are they basses u just add pickups to?

2. There are countless threads about SX basses.
    More than enough reading to answer your questions, I'm sure.

S.

3. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I have a Squier Vm P bass, and i was looking at the rondomusic.com sx basses, they seem ot look kewl, are they worth buying?

4. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    As Slackerprince has said, there are about a zillion threads about this already. But in short, SX instruments are very high quality for their price.

I mean, 89 bucks?!? http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb62bk.html

If you know your way around doing a setup, you can end up with a really great axe.

5. The first time I heard of them, I had to go check them out at www.rondomusic.com. I then read some reviews at www.harmony-central.com. Most of the reviews were glowing. I developed a keen interest in their short scale versions. They even had Jazz and P clones in fretless! I scratched my head wondering why Fender themselves had not thought of such a thing instead of the 30 inchers they had. :confused:
    Finally, I figured at only $109 they were at least worth a try. Boy, was I surprised. I really thought that I would have to gut the electronics, and replace the bridge to make it a gig-worthy bass. It still remains stock to this day. I even still have the original flats that came with it on. The pups sound great and are dead quiet. Realize it is a $109 bass, and they do come with minor finish flaws. Mine had a place on the back of the neck where there was a drip on the clearcote gloss finish, but nothing noticible visually nor is it felt while playing.
    They are, in my opinion, worth the gamble of trying out. No, they are are not the equivilent of a US made Fender. But, as they say, they are excellent values for the money, and you can get one cheap enough to mod the devil out of, if you so choose, and have a really good playing bass without a lot of investment. :D

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

From what I've read around here, for a hundred bucks you can get a bass that's a good player with a proper setup. Sounds like a good deal.

7. They suck and are a huge waste of money. Get yourself a Conklin or something.

8. Brewerpaul

Brewerpaul

Mar 1, 2009
    I'm with fretlessguy. I have a short scale Jazz by SX and it's terrific. Admittedly, I'm a very newbie bass player and not an expert, but I tried out quite a few instruments in local shops before I ordered my SX, and this cheapie stands up VERY well by comparison, given how much it cost me (or even better, how much it DIDN'T cost me). I tweaked the bridge a tiny bit lower, but that's all it needed. For the price you really can't go wrong.

9. fantastic bass for the price give it a try you will be surprised.

10. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Choose one of the following popular opinions:

1. They're just as good as MIA Fenders at less than 1/10 the price.
    2. They're just as good as MIM Fenders at less than 1/4 the price.
    3. They're just as good as Squiers at 1/2 the price.
    4. They're cheap junk, don't waste your money.

For less than $150 you can find out for yourself, and send it back if you don't like it. I'm considering doing just that.

11. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Well, i'm not sure what your experience has been but i have had 3 of them now, sold one to a friends son (only because he wanted one, it played really nice) and he loves it and kept the two others. ALL have been great bases for the money (I did a setup on all of them). No, they are not as nice as my Fender MIA's but for a bass that averages slightly over one hundred bucks they are great. I took my PJ (stock) to a jam session yesterday and they all liked the tone, so did i. So it may be you got a dud but i have scored a nice bass 3 times in a row so i feel comfortable purchasing another one without any quality worries. Mine did not have any blemishes or hardware issues.

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    :D I think you might be pulling our legs. :D

13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I recently picked up a great-condition used MIM Fender Jazz at my local GC for $250 with a quality TKL hardcase.

They have another good-as-new used MIM Fender P there now for $299 that I’m really wanting.

There may be a point in there somewhere…

14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    There's a seat for every a** in this world. You just need to find one right for you. Maybe a $150 bass won't meet your needs. Some basses need to be tweaked more than others, but for a player who has limited funds and not worry about having the "F" word on his headstock, they work.

G

15. You felt the tug, eh? ;)

Maybe it was because my breakfast flakes had a hint of uric acid in it or maybe I tried to get up from the wall side of my bed this morning but what other kind of fresh and unique response could be written to yet another 'what's with SX basses?' thread? :)

Maybe I shouldn't have responded at all... but then my breakfast DID taste funny.

16. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Your sig was a dead give away.

Cheers,
    BT

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nope, they come with pickups. Some with two!

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Miracle of photoshop.

19. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben

Sep 23, 2007
    The deal is penny for penny it is the best bass on the planet.

20. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    I haven't tried the SX basses but Rondo sells an Agile AL2000 Les Paul copy that is as good if not better than an Epiphone.
    It's a Korean made guitar. I paid $149.00, they've gone up a little but still a steal for the money. Rondo has great quick service as well.