what is the 'Chamfer' ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Si-bob, Feb 22, 2002.

  1. Si-bob


    Jun 30, 2001
    Amersham, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    could somebody explain to me what a 'chamfer' is on the bass, and the difference between a forced chamfer and a plained chamfer etc

  2. i dunno what it is on bass, but I would guess it's an angle that has been rounded off rather than sharp. In mechanical uses such as a crank shaft, it prevents it from cracking due to stress and/or vibration.
    My guess is that it's just a rounded angle.
  3. Steve


    Aug 10, 2001
    A champher (pronounced Kamfer.... in the US)
    Is a bevel edge corner as opposed to rounded.
    A "pressed" champher is exactly that. The bevel is pressed into the corner, no material is removed and it has the effect of strengthing the area.
    A planed champher has material cut or "planed" off the corner.

    What any of that has to do with bass? I have no idea.
  4. oddentity


    Nov 20, 2000
    The body of a bass usually has its edges chamfered, to make it more comfortable to play. Fender bodies have a 1/4" chamfer, IIRC.
  5. bikertrash82 is correct. The edges on bass bodies are filleted (rounded), rather than chamfered. A chamfer looks like this crappy mspaint drawing I have attached.
  6. bizzaro


    Aug 21, 2000
    Love the signature:cool:
  7. oddentity


    Nov 20, 2000
    Ah, my mistake... thanks for the info...
  8. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Sep 27, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.