1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the closest(but cheapest) thing to a Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Nov 27, 2006.

1. I know that rickenbackers are way out of my budget, and they also don't make five-strings (meaning they discontinued the one i wanted, the 4003), but what is the closest thing in tone and style to a rick 4003? Does rickenbacker have any sub companies like fender is to squier? I'm looking for something in the 400-700 $ area. Thanks.

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Rick is very protective of their designs, so you aren't likely to find copies too easily.

Get a used one. Oh wait, used are more expensive than the new ones. Keep saving! ;)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

An Ibanez Ric copy or even cheaper the Univox copy.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You might find an Ibanez copy, but there isn't anyting like a Ric. Start saving...

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Theres a used Ric 4001 in some reddish color at the Cleveland, OH Guitar Center for 700$. I know they'll ship out of state because there was 2 other Ric 4001s that were on display that got shipped out to out-of-state buyers.

I can't say I played it or if it's any good, but it's the cheapest Rickenbacker I've ever seen. I know it's a 4001. And it was there on Weds last week. Indiana isn't TOO far away - probably a 3.5 hour drive down I-90. I don't work for GC or anything, just trying to get some Ricks in the hands of the needy :)

As for sound-alikes, there aren't any convincing ones out there. Nothing sounds like a Ric and that's how they can charge 1800$ for their basses new. :)

6. Well, in that case, Is there any other compay that makes a 5-sting stereo bass?

7. Look for a Rick if you must have one, but I grew up on Geddy Lee and therefore just HAD to have a Rick. I didn't finally get one until about six months ago even though I had wanted one since the 80s. Anyway, I was not too thrilled with it. It was well made, but to me the Ricky sound was overhyped. I sold it soon thereafter. Still wanting a "Geddy bass", just last month I bought the Geddy Lee Jazz and feel that it is a huge improvement over the Ricky 4003. At least if you are going for a Geddy-type sound. But overall I like the Fender Geddy over the 4003 as well. Just something to think about. Just make sure you want the 4003 because you really like it, don't get caught up in the hype and brand like I did.

8. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Tone wise the closest you'll come is probably a regular jazz bass. Ricks have single coil pickups.

9. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    Either a Jazz, a Ric Copy, (I had one, it sounded similar to my 4003) or a Gibson G3.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Doesn't feel anything like a ric, but a Peavey T-40 gets the closest sound I've heard of any common bass.

11. P-bass with an ash body and maple fretboard.

..or an old Gibson Ripper..