1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the deal with aluminum cones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What are aluminum cones supposed to do and it seems like Hartke is almost the exclusive "aluminum cone" speaker cab company - do they have a patent on this or something?

Thanks - Skel

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's just another material to make a cone from. Metal cones are quite common in tweeters, seldom seen in woofers. I believe the only real benefit to them in a woofer is to make them visually different, as a sales tool. If they were actually superior every speaker manufacturer would make them.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Aluminum cones are punchier in the mid lows (Around 500-700 Hz), but are weak in the verry lows. They also sound a little metallic. Probably very good for slappers, or 80's pop sound. Probably not good to play some Black Sabbath. Although Hartke are the predominant company to make them, Behringer also makes aluminum cone cabinets, and eminence has a 10 inch speaker available. Try them out at your music store, and you will see.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The original Guild/Hartke aluminum 410 cabs really made a splash when they came out (was that late 70's or early 80's?). As far as I remember, they were one of the first 410 cabs widely available, and the clarity of those things versus all the 2x15 JBL and EV cabs many of us were using at the time was really an eye opener (if that was the sound you were looking for anyway) That was quite a bit before the SWR Goliath hit with the 410 and tweeter design that again opened up a lot of new sounds for the roundwound string set.

I'm not sure if the aluminum cones actually resulted in the crisp sound, or if it was just that most of us had never heard 10's in a bass context before.

All that being said, they were great for their time... I recently did a gig with an old GK800 and Hartke 410 provided as backline, and it was not such a good thing

5. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    bullfrog alumabass, theyre quite nice

6. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Eminence is now making a neo 10" bass driver that has an aluminum cone- the BassLite CA2010.

See US Speaker for the details.

basslite-ca2010-size165.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've demoed Hartke cabs in some music stores. Never could warm up to the tone, which IMO, borders on sterile. And I typically like a modern sound, too...

MM

8. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I know! Are we supposed to be afraid of these cones? Who are these cones, and where did they come from?

9. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I have ALWAYS thought they sounded like crap. Never liked 'em.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That thing only has a 4 oz. magnet. I wonder how good that thing would sound. I like my hartke 410XL, but that thing is HEAVY!!!

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Check with Bernie at BLT sound, he probably has them for less $.

12. Barbie doll subwoofer, I say. :ninja:
    Back on topic, I liked the tone of my Kickback 12, particularly for DB.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The reason it has a 4 ounce magnet is because it's a neo speaker.. that's the whole point of those speakers... the material they use for the magnets has a much higher magnetic property than standard magnets, so you can use much less material, hence light magnets, which allow lighter frames, which allow for the use of lighter woods, which makes the whole cab a lot lighter.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Wow - I think I'll make it a point to avoid these Hartke aluminum cone cabs. Maybe they would be good for a head/bass guitar that were very dark sounding, or maybe they would work well with a 1X15 since it sounds like they lack low end.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They sound HUGE with guitar. It would actually be a GREAT baritone cab. Anyways, I have an older version that has great low end.

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    They sound horrible, to me. I would personally NEVER use them.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

What he said ^

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Man, I actually like them. I use a GK head (bright and snappy) with a hartke cab. That and an Ampeg 4x8. Am I wierd?

19. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Bill is right on.. US Speaker has $85 for the CA2010, BLT has them for $71.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I believe that BLB use to make enclosures with aluminium speakers.