what is the deal with frats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    why do they seem like a huge deal everywhere?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Why make friends when you can just buy them and be treated like human refuse by said friends?
  3. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I blame Animal House.
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, exactly.

two out of my three roommates are in a frat. :rolleyes:
  5. C'mon, I wouldn't expect you to endorse such a ridiculous stereotype.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I didn't do frats in college, and pretty much chuckled at those that did. Having good friends is great, but having to act like an asscheek in order to have them is not so great.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Frats require dues, that is universal. I have several friends in frats, they talk about the stuff that their "friends" make them do and I just laugh at them.

The first week of school, the sororities were having Rush. The first day, girls were standing outside all day in bum-around clothes. The next, they were in full-length dresses.

Keep in mind they are paying for this treatment.

Earlier this year, a frat boy died during his hazing. The frat had him run on a treadmill for a very long time with no water. Died of heat exhaustion.
  8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Frats/Groups/Cliques give their members a distinct culture and indentity and a sense of exclusivity. Marines exchange Semper Fi, Freemasons have that secret handshake.

A group with a common background is stronger. The bonds and networks formed in these groups normally transcend the immediate environment that they were created in.

I place a high degree of trust on any Chief Petty Officer of the Navy because we all went through our initiation/transition rites prior to putting on our uniforms. They are all my brothers and sisters regardless of the circumstances when I met them. I am part of the network for the rest of my life. It helps.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think that one of the draws towards frats around college time is that... around college time kids don't really know who they are*, so they group with others to give themselves something of a sense of identity. It's dissimilar from a group of friends in that there are actual set rites and protocol surrounding the union.

Personally , I think it's kind of silly, but there isn't necessarily any harm in it either, and they do have the potential to help people out. Kind of like church.

* digging deeper one could argue that very few people ever really learn who they are, but I'm on the fence with that
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Perhaps you could shed some light on this one for me. The military, I guess the army specifically, uses the 'army of one' slogan in their ads, emphasizing personal responsibility, discipline and strength, yet, the army itself seems diametrically opposite in terms of how it actually functions and how soldiers view both themselves and others. The aforementioned brother/sisterhood, group mentality, unity, Links of a chain etc.

Is there a disconnect there? or can the 'army of one' mindset coexist with the otherwise communist structure of the army?

I mean, obviously, you want to be the best you can be, but if you are truly an 'army of one' then that would suggest that your ultimately mindset would clash with being grouped and operating in a family/brotherhood type setting.

Does 'army of one' not mean what I think it means?, if so what is it supposed to mean?

or is 'army of one' just an advertising hook with no real merit on what the military is actually trying to do?
  11. I'm guessing that you don't actually know much about fraternities.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    By all means educate me.

All I have to go on are accounts of people who I trust who are in frat's. They talk about their dues and what duties they are forced to do.

If I'm paying 400 a month to be in a club, there is no way I would be cleaning rooms of older members. Or generally being a go-for.
  13. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You also pay to live in a dorm/house, so that takes care of that argument.

I agree with syci, it's a group that you can be related to your entire life, you get lifelong friends, lifelong close friends. I've heard so many people thinking back, and wishing they joined a frat.

On that note, I'm still looking for the right one, with the right people before I make a commitment.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm paying 700 dollars to stay in a dorm for the entire semester, versus 400 per month.

Does not seem worthwhile to me. But do whatever blows your skirt up.
  15. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Wow, Rush has been reduced to playing at sororities? Oh how they mighty Geddy and Co. have fallen.
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    And they were only playing the crappy songs off of Counterparts.
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Army of One slogan is a catch phrase. It conveys to the potential recruit that Army men are tough. Ergo, if the viewer joins the Army, he too can be tough.

After one joins the Army or any service, the indoctrination about making heroes out of the other guys begins. But building Esprit De Corps also starts. They are steered away from thinking only of themselves but towards groupthink. To give their all for Country, Mom and Apple Pie. To singlehandedly kill as many bad guys as possible. An Army of One.
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Interesting, and that makes sense. Pretty clever marketing. I must say it's kind of interesting how our army seems to operat in a very communist fashion(what you've said thus far would suggest that), while they fight to uphold democracy. I guess Communism is good for some things after all.
  19. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    ha ha...I thought the title to this thread was:

"Whats the deal with farts?" :p

I was about to drop some knowledge....Oh well, Sorry I know nothing about frats.
  20. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I'm an Army veteran. Spent several years on active duty in Germany and six months in Bosnia.

In basic training we talked about "country" - but I don't recall mom or apple pie mentioned even once.