Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the deal with my Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I got a copy of Photoshop CS2 and I put it on my computer. It keeps saying I only have a certin amount of days left until whatever happens happens. Anyone know why it says this and how I can get it to go away? It doesn't say that on my friends computer as he used the same copy.

I'm guessing after the "days" runs out it will just be normal or I just have to uninstall it and then reinstall it every so often. Computers are confusing.

2. I don't know if it's a rule here or not, but you shouldn't post here about "bootleg" software.

Try the GIMP. Not as good as photoshop, but it's a start and it's free, legally. http://www.gimp.org/

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Sorry, bootleg was a wrong term. It's just a normal copy of it.

The GIMP is decent but it won't help me with my projects, which are to be done using photoshop specifics.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm guessing your friend registered the program, or at least used the serial/key when he set it up.

If you're doing more than just jacking around with photoshop, you should get a legit copy of it to work with. From experience, you can get a really nice discount on the whole creative suite with educational pricing.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I did use a regestration number, that's why i'm just wondering why it's doing this. I will uninstall it and try again, I probably just did something wrong.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea it's asking you to activate it. Kinda like a Serial Number on Steroids. It takes a basic inventory of some of the hardware components of your PC, and registers the Serial Number and Inventory with Adobe. If you install the software again, it checks the inventory of the computer and compares it with the previous install, and if they don't match, you don't get activated ( it will continue to operate in demo mode for a period of time, but after that, deleting and re-installing will not help, they've hidden a few files on your HD that will tell the new install that it has been installed before and give it the old date.)

If you don't NEED any of CS2s features, you can often find closeouts on the previous versions online. Pick up version 7 or CS for around $150 or so probably, then when you're ready or need to upgrade you can upgrade to CS2 and in the long run it will cost you less than just buying CS2. Just be sure of 2 things.

1. DON'T buy an upgrade of the outdated version, You'll be in the same boat.

2. Watch out for Education, OEM, and NFRs (Not For Retail) versions. They often are not eligeble for upgrades or have separate upgrade prices that are higher than standard upgrades.

Also consider if you REALLY need something that CS2 only has. Photoshop Elements is a decent and cheap package, and you can often get an upgrade from that to full Photoshop.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That makes sense.

Is there a reason why it works fine on my friends computer? He has it on his computer permanintly and did the exact same thing I did with the exact same disk. Technology hates me.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    He did it first.

You can only activate the software on one computer. The second one fails the activation, because the inventory doesn't match the first one.

(and it won't work if the 2 computers are identical, it pulls serial numbers from the chips...)