Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is the differance???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jvtwin, May 14, 2001.

1. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Okay people, bare with me a moment.
    I had told a friend I would love to get an upright acoustic bass. I then was quickly pointed out by nearby musician that was not the correct term that what I wanted was a double bass. Now, I play electric and have for years so to say the least I was a bit embarrassed and didn't say anything after that other then "thanks".

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the difference is between an acoustic bass, double bass, upright, and cello?
    I hate to admit it but, I thought they were all one in the same other then being a 3/4 bass and a full size.

Thanks to all for your patients.

2. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Also - a cello is tuned in fifths c,g,d,a and is played while sitting in a chair and rests between the knees. Cellos come in smaller sizes too but mainly for children (think of those tiny Suzuki method violins you might have seen). Double bass (or doghouse, upright, acoustic, string bass etc...) is typically tuned in fourths e,a,d,g like your electric bass guitar and is played while sitting on a high stool or standing.

for more names check: http://www.bassviolins.com/bassnames.htm

3. "upright" is a dumb adjective that was unnecessary for centuries before the toybass was invented; same for "acoustic". Some of us sensitive types don't like having to explain our instrument since it was here first. So we say 'bass', or 'double bass' to clarify our position vis a vis the cello, since we use the same clef but sound an octave apart. Germans will say Kontrabass, but contrabass never quite caught on over here. I've said before, neither Mozart nor Stravinsky nor anyone else wrote "upright" on the orchestra score.
    Your error is forgiven, unless you do it again, in which case we'll come and kill you.

4. Eddie, excuse me Edward,
    It is my understanding that they now have 16th sized basses. I have not seen one, my son plays a 1/4 sized bass.

Mark

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why? Are you trying to convert us to "naturism"? ;)

6. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

You know us rock guys like to play naked when we can!! :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

ooo, chilly :eek:

8. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, my studio/practice space is in my bedroom, so I have to admit, there've been mornings when I felt compelled to play something quite early in the day...

9. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

10. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.

WOW! :eek: Tough room!;)

(Feels like my last girlfriend :D)

11. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    Forgetting the rambling about naturalism - for some of my very yong students (4-5 year olds) I start them out on a 1/4 size cello tuned in 4ths. (I've shortened the bow (French) and haven't found an appropriate German bow of this size.) The span is about right and the string action light enough that they can press the string to the fingerboard. By the time they are ready to go to thumb position and notice the cello shoulders aren't steep enough they've usually grown into a 1/2 size base.