1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the difference between 2x10 or 4x10 Bass Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by diosito, Sep 14, 2010.

1. diosito

diosito

May 13, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Regarding sound?

I have a Peavey TNT 115 Bass amp (with a 15 speaker).
    I'm thinking of switching to a Bass Cab but I do not know the difference between the speackers sizes regarding sound.

I already got a Gallien Krueger 400RB.
    Any recommendations?

Thanx!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Simplistically a 4x10 has four tens, a 2x10 has two. Their low frequency response is the same, all that differs is their power handling and output capability. But in the mids and highs the 2x10 configuration is far superior, as a pair of them can be stacked vertically. Having drivers side by side halves midrange and high frequency dispersion, and you can't hear mids and highs that go past you at knee level.

But if you're asking about tone and response of tens versus fifteens there is none based upon driver size alone. There are a dozen variables that determine tone, driver size isn't one of them.

3. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    double the speakers?

4. diosito

diosito

May 13, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    I'm just trying to decide which configuration is better. Based on my reasearch so far, 2x10 seem better.
    Apparently is lighter and "tighter".
    How many watts and which brand would be the second question ...
    The Gallien Krueger Head I own only throws 22 wats or so ...
    This is tough ... too many options!

5. A 410 has MOAR. Really it depends on the cabinet dimensions when the same speakers are used.

6. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    You have a 22 watt solid state head?

7. The biggest difference to you is going to probably be volume... more speakers = more volume. hence a 410 is just about always louder than a 210

if you play a 5-string I would recommend the 410 over the 210 as many 210's can't handle the B-string as well as a 410.

and lastly IMO rather have more volume than not enough...

edit: if you are asking about a 410 vs two 210 cabs then ignore my post ;)

8. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Much depends on the power (read loudness)of your guitarist, drummer and the room you are playing into.

I Think head 400rb does 240 watts into 4 ohms and 150 into 8 I believe. (not sure of the version you have.)

I personally like 210's because they are light and to my ears sound very tight. the decision you have is do you buy a single 210 at 8 ohms so u could add another down the line or just get a 4 ohm to max the output of your amp.

I suggest a 8 ohm because some place down the line your going to get a larger amp (at least 300 watts into 8 ohms)and a 8 ohm gives you better options later to add a second cabinet. The difference it perceived volume between running it 4 or 8 ohm would hardly be noticeable in a single cab..

9. diosito

diosito

May 13, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Sorry. I meant 200 watts or so :)

10. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Perfect, Bill. After going back and forth between 410s and 2x210s for 25 years, I have settled on a pair of 210s for this reason exactly.

Oh, and also...my opinion is that no matter how light the build materials are, 410s are clunky and hard to move. Even at 60 pounds, a cabinet that is almost as wide as a door, equally tall, and 15" to 20" deep is hard to get around. I always put casters on mine, making the move no different than antything else on a dolly.

11. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Why not start out with an 8 ohm single 2 x 10" cabinet and see if it meets your needs? If you need another, buy another 8 ohm. These mate to produce a 4 ohm load and you'll have lots of jam. Some built today have neodymium woofers, and are very light.

The downside of course is that a pair of 2 x 10" cabinets will cost more than a single 4 x 10".

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I agree on the price issue but a pair of 2x10s is so much more versatile that a single 4x10. I do stack my pair vertically.

Paul

13. I too have a PV TNT115 and use it for a Jam session that I host twice a month. It does a fine job.

My other rig is a Carvin BX500 w/BRX10.4 and BRX10.2 neo cabs. For small to medium sized gigs I use just the 2x10 stacked vertically, it sounds great. Depending on the mood I'm in sometimes I bring the 4x10. For outside gigs I use both cabs and it sounds great.

The 4x10 is going to give you a bit more bottom end plus increased volume.

EDIT: Both my cabs are 4 ohms. When I run them together they are at 2 ohms.

14. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I use an older GK 400RB mated to an Ampeg 4X10 cabinet w/horn. It sounds great and is as loud as I'll ever need. The cabinet is rated at 4 ohms - important for the GK if you want it to develop full power.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021