Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the difference between a Fender Precision Standard and this one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mears, Jan 26, 2003.

1. mears

mears

Jan 25, 2003
    This is from a classified listing:

I am selling a 4-string Fender Squire Precision Bass guitar. It is black with a red pick guard. It has a slim neck that is matched by an Agathis body. It is also fitted with a traditional split single-coil P-Bass pick up and a J-Bass pickup in the bridge position

I've done some searches and lots of people recommend the precision standard, but I don't didn't see anything about this particular bass.

2. mears

mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Thanks a lot. I guess I'll hold out for a precision standard then (4 string fretted). What price should I be looking for used on one?

3. Would this be your first bass purchase? If you aren't gonna go to a store to try out basses, I suggest you check out Rondo Music and look at their Essex basses. They are great basses, and even greater because of their prices.

www.rondomusic.com

4. mears

mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Yeah, this is going to be my first bass. I have access to an older Electra, but it didn't seem like it was designed for rock/metal, which is what I'll primarily be playing. However, I'd like to get something that is versatile as well.

5. The bass you're describing sounds like a Squier P-Bass Special (though the red pickguard must be a retrofit) and may or may not be a decent bass. IMO Squier basses should not be purchased unless you've played them first; because they are not made at the main Fender factory, the quality varies widely from absolute garbage to diamond-in-the-rough. I have a 90's Squier P-Bass Special that plays beautifully, except for a jack that occasionally acts up and a sometimes scratchy tone pot -- both would be easy to fix if they became bothersome.

Squier basses seem to be some of the best in their immediate price range, but if you've got a little more money, you could spring for a RockBass Corvette. RockBass is to Warwick what Squier is to Fender, only more consistent in their manufacture. I had the opportunity to play one at the music store and was very impressed. Even with the ridiculously light strings someone had put on it, it sounded remarkably full and focused and hardly even needed EQ.

From what I've heard, the Ibanez Roadstar II is a highly underrated bass, and there are always a few used ones floating around. According to Bass Player the Squarepusher fellow uses one in the studio.

Asian-made Spectors may also be suitable for the music you're playing.

6. Holy crap. This is the first time I've seen an Essex and the jazz bass looks exactly like a Fender jazz bass.

I couldn't see any significant difference in the headstock so how come they haven't been sued by Fender for copyright infringement?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Because the only design feature that they can control is the headstock.

A few years ago, I was at the Lakland factory and saw a picture that Fender's legal department sent Lakland about one particular curve in the Lakland headstock...so they had to change it.

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are going to hold out, keep an eye open for a Japanese-made Fender. These are really good basses and the prices are quite reasonable. I bought one last summer for $350 and probably could have gotten it lower if I had been more patient.

9. Well, yeah. I was referring to the headstock. It looks exactly like a Fender...what's the change then?

10. The shape of the headstock is more like a Music Man headstock, except Essex just has the 4 in-line tuners.