What is the difference between a Stingray and a Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justboy, Feb 27, 2005.

1. justboy

Feb 23, 2005
    What is the difference between a Stingray and a Sterling?
  2. body shape, neck and sound are different between them - the sterling has the series parallel switches as well.
  3. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Everyone will yell at you for this post... not me though... I tried both multiple times & am a big fan of the Sterling switch, smaller neck...
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The Sterling has the "Jazz" scale and the Ray has a "P"scale. The electronics are completely different and so is the body shape. I find that the position of the Sterling pickup is uncomfortable for me. I have a thumb rest installed on mine to make it more comfortable to use. I am a big fan of the smaller neck. :D
  5. I played both and liked the Sterling much better. Mainly due to the smaller width neck.
    It was more versatile in tones also due to the switch that let you have parallel, series, or single coil (with phantom coil in parallel for very low hum if any.)
  6. Stingray

- Wider neck
    - Permanent pickup wiring configuration
    - Available in 2 or 3 EQ
    - Chrome crescent control plate
    - Larger body
    - Larger Stingray elliptical pickguard
    - Heavier

- Thinner neck
    - Pickup wiring configuration adjustable via selector switch
    - Available in 3EQ only
    - No chrome crescent control plate
    - Smaller Sterling elliptical pickguard
    - Thinner body
    - Lighter

At a quick glance they look identical but the most obvious feature is the the thinner neck and lack of the contol plate on the Sterling.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Isnt there a difference in frets also, 22 on Sterling, 21 on stingray? Or something.
  8. Yes, you are absolutely correct

Also, I believe the 2 band EQ is on the 4 string model of the Stingray while the 3 band (setup like the Sterling) is on the SR-5.
  9. No, the Stingray 5 has Sterling electronics (3-band with series/parallel/single coil switch). The Singray 4 is available with either a 2-band or a 3-band EQ. Really.
  10. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Look at it this way, the Stingray will always sound like a Stingray. The Sterling can sound almost like a Stingray plus more. From what I have read, the pickup placement on the Sterling is different than the Stingray.
  11. Can the Sterling switch be installed on a Stingray?
  12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    A guy here modded his Stringray with a quad-coil Delano pickup, this allowed him to put a parallel/series/single switch.
  13. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Everytime somebody axs this question, somebody says that StingRays are for men, and Sterlings are for women and children.