Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the difference between the Ampeg BSE 410 HLF cabs and the SVT 410 HLF cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Water, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Water

Water

Feb 16, 2005
    Sorry guys but I'm not very educated on bass cabs so I dont really know what I'm doing and I'm trying to figure out what I should buy and I was curious about what the difference between BSE and SVT was.

2. The SVT is ten million times better you should definitely get one of them.

Well, hey, look at that I'm selling one.....:D

Seriously, though, I think that the SVT is a lot better.

3. Water

Water

Feb 16, 2005
    What makes it a billion times better and how is it different?

4. I haven't tried the BSE, but the SVT is very popular (and is an amazing cab) while I've never heard anyone rave about a BSE.

5. it is also only one million times better, not quite a billion :D

6. Water

Water

Feb 16, 2005
    ok..so you haven't actually tried a BSE? Does it have its advantages to the SVT?

7. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    The BSE is a little lighter in weight, cost $100 less, metal grill, front shelf port, rms 400 watts, a little smaller in size.

The HLF a little heavier in weight, cost $100 more, classic cloth grill, 3 front round ports, rms 500 watts, larger size.

Not sure what the BSE sounds like but I luv the sound of the HLF ......... I wish it came with a metal grill and 2 more wheels.

8. My sentiments exactly.

9. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Isn't the BSE the one that was co-designed by Victor Wooten and is way more mid-scooped than your typical Ampeg cab?

10. I seem to recall Vic being involved with these also...

11. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach

I think it's the BXT

12. oh, yeah. Those are the ones that are like red, eh?

13. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Oh yeah, that's right. Never mind me then.

14. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    To my ears, the SVT sounds both boomier (in a good way) and thighter. The BSE sounded small and less clear (though overall, I wouldn't say "bad" sounding). Keep in mind, my opionion only comes from playing them both at GC, I bought the SVT and it sounds great with a band, never played the BSE out (I'm sure it would sound good too).

15. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I owned a svt and played a bse a couple of times and theres a big difference. Height, weight and sound. if weight is not a concern get the svt ,you won't regret it.

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm sure some really technical people will pipe in sooner or later. Isn't the BSE 8 ohms, for one thing? I know when I got my first rig at GC, I flat out asked the manager which rig would sound good, and he pointed me to a B4-R and the BSE. I couldn't afford the B4-R, so I went with the B2-R, but while I was trying the BSE with the B4-R, I also tried the SVT-410, and I instantly picked it over the BSE and bought it. I believe the prices were pretty close. To me the SVT had thicker, creamier lows.

Skel

17. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    BSE410H 8 ohms, lower efficiency, 200/400W
    BSE410HLF 4 ohms, goes a little lower, better efficiency 400/800W.
    SVT410HLF 4 ohms higher efficiency, goes even lower 500/1000W
    SVT410HE 8 ohms higher efficiency does not go as low as the others, 500/1000W

The SVT410HLF is clearly the "monster" of the lot, sound and size-wise, but tastes vary..... and each one of these has a little different sound/tonality..

18. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    Out of the 4 cabs which one is the most popular?

19. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I own the svt hlf, and I love it, that being said: a friend of mine used to run a bse 410 hlf & bse 115 rig before switching to an svt 410 hlf. The bse lacked the lows that the svt has and it seemingly needed a 15 to get those whereas the svt doesn't. YMMV of course.

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Man, including the PR-410HLF, you guys make *FIVE* different 4X10 boxes. That's quite an offering. I know it sounds like a "Duh", but I don't know who else offers 5 different 4X10 cabs.

Skel